virus: The Daily Me

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan@limbicnutrition.com)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 17:41:24 MDT

    Dear Fellows,

    Recent discussions surrounding book recommendations, how we transfer
    trust, fallacies and the dangers of accepting facts on authority
    reminded me of The Daily Me.

    If we outsource our critical fallacies to our fellows, rely too heavily
    on authorities to filter what we read or limit ourselves to reading only
    those with whom we agree, then we are at grave risk of a series of
    problems. One of the worst, in my view, is the smugness and complacency
    that self-reinforcement generates. Like two plain girls convincing each
    other the are beautiful, it may gratify the participants, but it neither
    serves the truth or prepare them for reality.

    Some essays on the subject are worth a quick read.

    http://www.ukpoliticsmisc.org.uk/weblog/archive/2002_10_22_old.php#85588
    566

    Of course there is a risk you may disagree with them or they may anger
    certain opinionated fellows in the forum and be denounced. I predict
    most of you will not be put off though...

    Kind regards

    Jonathan