virus: The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Hermit (virus@hermit.net)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 02:48:29 MDT

    Given that there appears to be a great deal of misunderstanding about what the "Disciplinary Process" of the Church of Virus is - and is not, we intend to devote the next Tuesday Meeting 2003-10-07 on the #virus IRC channel at http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=7&month=10&year=2003&hour=21&min=0&sec=0&p1=64

    You might have voted on this process, you might merely have read about it. Either way, we suggest that you familiarise yourself with it. To that effect and in preparation for that meeting, you will find the current accepted process documented on this thread at http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29437. The information included suggests when invoking the process might be appropriate - and when not; how it is applied; who can apply it; what sanctions or other consequences it might involve and the desired and anticipated outcomes of the disciplinary process.

    Bear in mind as you read this, that the "Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus" does not aspire to "judgement", is not based in law and does not impose punishments. Instead, it is based on establishing community relationships and is intended to make our community a pleasant place for all of its memebers, through a process which insists on appropriate behaviour and a graduated scale of sanctions intended to persuade members to conform to desired and expected behavior.

    It should be noted that the process relies on the people with the highest reputations to devote time and efforts to this end. Unlike a normal representional system, where a representative is chosen for a fixed term, those Virians who elect to join Meridion, the reputation system of the Church of Virus, have the ability to change the reputations of those implementing this process at any time, and in so doing, enabling them to provide immediate feedback on how this, and other processes and issues are handled. In addition, once a member of the congregation's reputation is sufficiently high, they are able to discuss "management issues" in the Cathedral section of the BBS and contribute to the development of policy on the Wiki.

    Meridion and our disciplinary process together are intended to accelerate the rate at which we can respond to "wrong actions" through various technical changes and social processes, so that there is no excuse for the kind of "escalating retaliation" often seen in on-line communities (including our own) when feedback is belated.

    If you would like to raise issues, discuss this process, make suggestions, call for clarifications, etc. before the meeting, please make responses and only on this thread. If you do partipate, please do not quote from the document, but simply refer to the paragraph numbers as that will simplify arranging the discussion into some kind of order.

    When criticising this effort, please try to keep your responses impersonal and to the point, and whenever possible, suggest concrete changes where you feel the process is potentially non-ideal.

    Finally a note on the naming of this topic. While today, discipline often means what is done to other people - and in such a way that they probably won't enjoy it, in earlier times discipline refered mainly to a way of living. Living in such a way as to benefit yourself and your community and maximising your ability to reach your potential. This is the form of discipline that the Church of Virus hopes to achieve.

    Kind Regards

    Hermit

    ----
    This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29438>