RE: virus: Re: Camel's nose bagged and tagged.

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 19:09:44 MDT

    [Blunderov]
    I wonder if fallacies are an example of a very hardy type of meme
    similar to the alleged anthrax (?) in the pharaohs' tombs that were
    still viable after thousands of years. Innoculation is the only
    remedy...

    [Kalkor]
    Sounds reasonable. Whether a meme is correct or factual seems to me to have
    little to do with whether it is effective. Fallacies are effective in
    convincing people of things.

    I have enjoyed learning about them and will continue to do so. I also point
    them out to others as often as possible, with explanations of why and how
    they are considered fallacies. This exercise of defining and identifying
    them is valuable not only to me, but to everyone out there. If they
    participate, or even if they just observe. With that in mind, I thought
    maybe we could continue to exchange observations of fallacious arguments out
    in the real world.

    Thank you for your help too, Blunderov. Sorry my responses have been slow
    and few, but I've had an exciting couple of weeks that I may tell you folks
    about sometime soon when I have a chance.

    I hope this next one pisses some of you off. Controversy seems to stimulate
    conversation ;-}

    Ok, I got an email from Moveon.org, an organization that I participated in
    to organize protests of the impending Iraq war earlier this year. They've
    continued to fill my inbox with call-to-arms wording of a distinctly biased
    type, and I take a great amount of amusement in picking apart their
    arguments. The latest one is in regards to the impending California recall
    election, and in particular one of the major candidates: Arnold
    Schwarzenegger. I'd like to quote a couple of news sources used in the
    email, and have you folks see if you can figure out which fallacies have
    been used and why you think so. Here goes:

    "Yesterday, there were revelations about Arnold Schwarzenegger's physical
    harassment of women -- charges which he has refused to deny. Today he is
    struggling to explain statements he has made throughout his life regarding
    Adolf Hitler and another Nazi war criminal."

    Refused to deny???? Was he being dared to deny them? What, so when you
    accuse someone of something, and they don't deny it, they are in effect
    'refusing' something? Refusing to rise to some sort of bait? hmmmmmm

    Now, the statement he made about Hitler:

    [quote]
    "Exceprt from today's front page New York Times article:
    http://nytimes.com/2003/10/03/national/03BOOK.html?hp

    Schwarzenegger Admired Hitler, Book Proposal Says
    By ADAM NAGOURNEY and DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK

    A film producer who chronicled Arnold Schwarzenegger's rise to fame as a
    champion bodybuilder in the 1970's circulated a book proposal six years ago
    that quoted the young Mr. Schwarzenegger expressing admiration for Adolf
    Hitler.

    The book proposal by the producer, George Butler, included what were
    presented as verbatim excerpts from interviews with Mr. Schwarzenegger in
    the filming of the documentary "Pumping Iron." In a part of the interview
    not used in the film, Mr. Schwarzenegger was asked to name his heroes - "who
    do you admire most."

    "It depends for what," Mr. Schwarzenegger said, according to the transcript
    in the book proposal. "I admired Hitler, for instance, because he came from
    being a little man with almost no formal education up to power. And I admire
    him for being such a good public speaker."

    In addition to the transcript, Mr. Butler wrote in his book proposal that in
    the 1970's, he considered Mr. Schwarzenegger a "flagrant, outspoken admirer
    of Hitler." In the proposal, Mr. Butler also said he had seen Mr.
    Schwarzenegger playing "Nazi marching songs from long-playing records in his
    collection at home" and said that the actor "frequently clicked his heels
    and pretended to be an S.S. officer.""
    [/quote]

    I admire lions for their hunting prowess. I do not admire lions for their
    cuddliness. So, if this man admires Hitler for his speaking ability or the
    fact that he surmounted obstacles, does that necessarily mean he admires
    Hitler for being a Nazi? In fact, he seems to have indicated this exact
    concept by his use of the phrase "It depends for what," which he used to
    qualify his statement (or so he is quoted as doing). In context, I would
    almost assume he intentionally used the Hitler example to point out that you
    can admire someone for one thing while reviling them for another.

    Next, the article is quoting one man's opinion about another man. In
    addition, I think this is what is called "hearsay". However, the implication
    is that the man being quoted is an authority and that his word should be
    taken as gospel when he "considers" another man to be a "flagrant, outspoken
    admirer of Hitler." Is Mr. Butler an expert on Nazis? Is he a licensed
    psychoanalyst? Did he never play 'Cops and Robbers' as a child? I did. I
    distinctly remember having to play the bad guy some times, and this required
    clicking my heels and pretending to be an S.S. officer several times.

    Anyhow, please feel free to pick apart anything in here. I welcome the
    discussion!

    Kalkor