virus: IRC DiP

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 08:40:50 MDT

    I was reading a somehow interesting discussion in last night's IRC logs, just after the chat on the Disciplinary Process. It was personal, but at the same time civil and rational, trying to explore the issue as human behavior. It was interrupted in a somehow administrative way when a virian who was part of the subject took offence.

    Since the discussion was just after our IRC chat on the Disciplinary Process (DiP), it occured to me that we shouldn't forget to include IRC in our considerations.

    It so happened that when I first joined CoV last year it was a good time. All the talk was acceptably focused and rational. One of the first things that hit me as strange was something I read about IRC, namely "the foremost rule is, don't piss off the operators". I don't know much about IRC in general, but I never understood why an IRC action didn't need justification, just as any other CoV discussion.

    How are difficult situation currenty resolved in IRC? There are "IRC operators" (IRCop), "Channel Operators" (SOP), and "Automatic Operators" (AOP). This constitutes a hierarchy, and some of these require certain technical skills too. From time to time, I hear about IRC rules there, asserting some authority for these kinds of operators and some countermeasures for annoying them.

    The Meridion reputations could play a role there too for a temporary quick resolutions of difficult situations, although a good mechanism for that is yet to be devised. Of course, as in everything CoV stands for, rational justification for any action is still needed -- either immediately or, in case of an emergency, afterwards.

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29476>