virus: "Brights" more destructive than good / WSJ attacks atheism

From: metahuman (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 18:25:17 MDT

    While I am definitely not a supporter of the Brights, I am quite enraged that the editors of WSJ's Opinion Journal have the audacity to publish an article that bashes atheism, atheists everywhere, and especially some incredible folks like Daniel Dennett.

    http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110004153

    Thankfully, there are other atheists who do read Opinion Journal and have responded quite intelligently to the editorial.

    http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/responses.html?article_id=110004153

    Judging from the responses of theists and skeptics of the Brights, my previous admonition, that the Brights movement has the potential to become destructive to atheism, general public acceptance of science education, and non-demeaning social acceptance of atheists, is being proven to be "quite accurate."

    I suppose if the Brights movement continues, atheists who do not support them will have to explain to theists and other non-theists that the Brights are not representative of atheism.

    Certainly, the Brights do not represent me or my views.

    ----
    This message was posted by metahuman to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29508>