virus: Re:"Brights" more destructive than good / WSJ attacks atheism

From: Kharin (kharin@kharin.com)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 13:42:11 MDT

    "Utility, by definition, is helpful. The question is: of what use is Kant in our knowledge of the Universe? Can you propose one conclusion, drawn from Kant, that may be useful?"

    Perhaps the original post should have said 'I'm not sure utility is applicable here.' What we are referring to is a basis for knowledge; in that context utility is a distinctly social aspect. As such, we are speaking of a form of knowledge that tends towards the subjective; none of our normal methodologies for ascertaining its veracity prove applicable and any knowledge gleaned from such a process would be almost impossible to meaningfully communicate (since without empirical reference it is almost impossible to guarantee commonality of signification). Accordingly, social utility is likely to be somewhat limited.

    ----
    This message was posted by Kharin to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29508>