Re:virus: 'reasonables'

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 13:59:11 MDT

    [aperick]
    The thing wrong with Godless sorts calling themselves 'reasonables' is that most all the God fearers see their beliefs as most reasonable. We need a truly new term. Then people will have to ask exactly what this new term means.

    [rhinoceros]
    Did you see the names which have been suggested instead of 'Brights' in the Skeptics link I posted yesterday? ("The Big 'Bright' Brouhaha")? No suggestion for 'Reasonables', but there are 'Reasonalists' and 'Reasonists'.

    There are also 'Enoughists', 'Frees', 'Mortals' (hey BJK!), 'Heathen', 'Nuffists', 'Opens', 'Sprites', 'Twains', and many more.

    The responses to Skeptic magazine about the term 'Brights' were:

    1. No Position, just commented on process: 3 (3%)
    2. Offered alternative name without commenting on “Brights”: 23 (26%)
    3. Negative on Brights, offered alternative name: 37 (42%)
    4. Negative on Brights, no alternative offered: 18 (20%)
    5. Positive on Brights: 8 (9%)

    Here is the full list of the suggested names:

    Agnahumans
    Agnamen
    Agnascepts
    Agnastics
    Agnostics
    Anaxagorians
    Anti-theist
    Apatheism
    Apatheists
    Asupernaturalists
    Athiests
    Athnasceps
    Athnastics
    Atomists
    Atoms
    B.R.I.G.H.T.s
    Brites
    Cleariats
    Clears
    Critical Thinkers
    Enlightened Ones
    Enoughists
    Enrealders
    Epicurian Naturalists
    Epicurians
    Evaluators
    Evaluites
    Evolvers
    Fallibatheists
    Forthrights
    Freedoubters
    Freedoubts
    Frees
    Freethinkers
    Geians
    Godless Bolshaviks
    Gouldists
    Heathen
    Huhhers
    Humanists
    I am of a scientific mind
    Illuminaries
    Infidels
    Inquirers
    Inquisitors
    Intellectual-liberal
    Intellectuals
    Life-long Learners
    Lights
    Lucids
    Mortals
    Nagnoscepts
    Nagnoskepts
    Natagnostics
    Natanostics
    Natnostics
    Nats
    Natural Philosopher
    Naturalies
    Naturalismists
    Naturalists
    Naturals
    Naturies
    Naturists
    Neocleariats
    Neo-gnostics
    Neo-thinker
    No label at all
    No-Names
    Non-believers
    Nuffists
    Open thinkers
    Openminders
    Opens
    ORBs
    Passionate Rationalists
    Philosophical Naturalists
    Phrontisteries
    Pragmatic Realists
    Probing Minds
    QEDs
    Questioneer
    RASPs
    Rationalists
    Rational Materialists
    RAVENs
    Realders
    Realists
    Realitivists
    Reasonalists
    Reasonists
    Reductionists
    Rethinkers
    Scepnastics
    Scepnostics
    Sceptmen
    Sciencians
    Scientific Secularists
    Scientists
    Secular Humanists
    Secularists
    Seculars
    Seekers
    Skepnastics
    Skeptics
    Skeptmen
    Smart-people-unlike-you-dumb-people
    Sprites
    The Happies
    Thinkers
    Thinkstirrers
    Truists
    Truth Seekers
    Twains
    Unbelievers
    Untheists
    Wonder
    Worlders

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29538>