RE: virus: Butt call

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 02:14:08 MDT

    [Blunderov]
    Please excuse the cross-post. Firstly 'butt call' is too good to miss
    IMHO. Secondly perhaps someone can suggest a better host for the
    Word-Spy mailing list - I have no wish to see them disappear. (Also the
    'Words About Words' section seems specifically relevant in a memetic
    sense.)
    Best Regards

    <snip>
    butt call n.

    An unintended phone call placed by sitting on one's cell phone.

    Postus Interruptus

    Now back to your regularly scheduled post...

    Example Citation
    ---------------------------------
    Have you ever picked up your telephone only to hear noise on the other
    end? Or maybe you heard bits of conversation or singing over some
    static?

    If you were lucky, you recognized the voice of someone you knew. That's
    when you realized what had happened: Your friend had accidentally
    pressed the redial or speed-dial button on their cellular phone, which
    then placed a call to you.

    Maybe the phone bumped up against something in a purse or briefcase, or
    rubbed up against a seat belt. Or maybe the phone fell on the floor.
    Maybe the person just sat on their phone--which explains why some
    industry insiders call inadvertent dialing "butt calls." --David
    Coursey, "Butt calls: Let's put an end to 'em," ZDNet AnchorDesk,
    October 8, 2003

    Example Citation #2
    ---------------------------------
    My embarrassment was not diminished when I found out what the California
    Highway Patrol calls such inadvertent 911 calls, most of which come from
    cell phones with a one-button 911 calling feature.

    "We call what you did a 'butt call,'" CHP telecommunications supervisor
    Bill Harry told me -- a term derived from the act of dialing a cell
    phone by sitting on it.

    And how big a problem, I asked Bill, are "butt calls"?

    "Huge," he said.

    In California, almost all 911 calls from cellular phones go to the CHP,
    while landline 911 calls go to local dispatchers. In Orange County, the
    CHP communications center in Irvine gets about 900,000 911 calls a year
    -- and believe it or not, roughly 40 percent of those calls are mistakes
    and misdials by people fumbling with their cell phones. Forty percent!
    --Gordon Dillow, "Cell users should get hip to 911 'butt calls',"
    Orange County Register, October 2, 2003

    Earliest Citation
    ---------------------------------
    About 55% of calls these days to Nashville's 911 center are made on
    cell phones. ...

    Often, calls are inadvertent, such as when people sit on their cell
    phones - known in the business as "butt calls." Many phones will
    automatically dial 911 if the "1" or "9" is held down.

    "You get to listen to someone's radio sometimes as they drive across the
    country," Brown said. "The majority of our 911 calls are accidents."
    --Anne Paine, "Better response time at 911 center hailed," The
    Tennessean, June 14, 2003

    See Also
    ---------------------------------
    drunk dial:
    http://www.wordspy.com/words/drunkdial.asp

    stage-phoning:
    http://www.wordspy.com/words/stage-phoning.asp

    talk-off:
    http://www.wordspy.com/words/talk-off.asp

    Subject Category
    ---------------------------------
    Technology - Cell Phones:
    http://www.wordspy.com/index/Technology-CellPhones.asp

    Words About Words
    For reasons both annoying and boring (read: technical), my e-mail host
    is going to charge me for each post sent to the Word Spy list. To help
    minimize my costs until I can make other arrangements, I'm instituting
    two temporary changes to the list:

    1. I'm going to post only four days a week (Tuesday through Friday).

    2. I'm suspending the HTML version of the list.

    If anybody knows of or runs an inexpensive mailing list hosting service,
    please reply to this post and let me know.

    Also, please note that I've retired the listmanager@logophilia.com
    address from its mailing list duties. If you need to change your
    subscription, please send your message to the following address:

    Subscription Stuff
    command
    "leave wordspy" in the Subject line.

    Or,