virus: kirksteele

From: metahuman (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 15:21:18 MDT

    kirksteele, is there any particular reason why you want to be a channel operator in the existing irc.lucifer.com channels? Is there any particular reason why you want to be privileged to information of which you are not privileged to read?

    When I was on Hermit's good side and we were "buddies", he'd always op me in #virus, but really, there is no point. The channels could be just as easily run without channel operators. The occassional troll could be dealt with by the IRCops.

    In your case, I find you immediately despicable even though I have no idea who you are. Anyone who kicks and bans an entire channel with most victims being asleep is automagically on my "I hate this person" list.

    The only time I've come across people who desperately want to be a chanop is during my early years on DALnet and Undernet which are filled with IRC newbies that think being a chanop is cool. Chanops serve a purpose and are expected to be mature in their decisions. When they neither have a purpose as a chanop or behave contrary to the rules (or generally accepted expectations), it is only natural that they would no longer be an operator. It is natural in the sense that I wouldn't allow a person to operate a crane equipped with a giant steel/iron ball if they weren't in the right state of mind to do so.

    ----
    This message was posted by metahuman to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29552>