virus: Probability and fear

From: Erik Aronesty (erik@zoneedit.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 07:00:58 MDT

    Suppose you are in your way to buy a nice new car. You've chosen green as the color, and you're pretty sure it's going to be a Volvo.

    On the way to the dealership, you see a terrible car accident. It's the first time you've ever seen such a thing. Driving by slowly, you see that the bloody severed torso of the driver is lying on the street next to the crumpled wreck of a green BMW.

    Unfortuantely, because of the way your human brain works, the last color car you want now is green. And you're very sure that Volvo is the right choice.

    Our fear reaction is a survival mechanism designed for "new/unknown input".

    Concious deduction/induction is a mechanism for manually producing results based on past experience. We can produce informed, concious decisions based on statistics. This process, however can be tedious and is fraught with fear-bias.

    Our dilectic, on the other hand, is excellent at handling large volumes of input and coming up with broadly informed courses of action. It is immune to fear and is eminently rational. Some people call this the "creative" side of the brain, and associate it with art...rather than science and reason. I say that being creative is the height of human reason - merely beyond our everday expectations.

    A quality religion should encourage such dilectic thinking.

    Fear, unfortunately, has a mechanism for overriding