virus: On Rights

From: aperick@centurytel.net
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 12:19:40 MDT

    Kharin has spoken bravely and, I believe, rightly.

    To me the rights which society (my governors, yuck) grants to me are very
    much like the protection it claims to provide via the police. The facts do
    not match the claims - with very few exceptions, the police can only show up
    <I>after</I> I have been harmed. Don't get me wrong; I very much appreciate
    all the rights and protections I enjoy in the USA. But when we set out to
    define and understand the nature of concepts and speech such as rights, can
    we not be brave enough to dig deeply - to the root of the thing? I, for one,
    prefer to see things as they are.