virus: On rights

From: aperick@centurytel.net
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 12:12:04 MDT

    [Kharin]
    "I don't mean to defend the actual concept of "natural rights" as it is
    understood by these authors; it's been dismantled by many and I find myself
    in agreement that ultimately, it is up to whatever sovereign power to
    recognize the need for, and establish a system of rights"

    [Rick]
    Yes, but can we please refer to said 'rights' as "privileges for all --
    privileges which <i>we</i> have decided that all should enjoy; privileges
    which we intend to secure by force if need be?" When we use the term
    'rights' most folks will start thinking of some sort of silliness -- and
    then things get ugly.