Re:virus: More on Memes (1986 L5 News article)

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 20:06:29 MST

    At 07:49 AM 31/10/03 -0700, you wrote:

    >[hkhenson] A long standing problem for L5 is that the space colony meme
    >has always
    >been long on motivation and short on possible real actions directed to
    >developing space colonies. This lack of outlets for highly motivated people
    >may be the reason there have been so many internal fights in L5 independent
    >of who was in charge. Here we have a specific program (in outline at least)
    >that leads directly to space colonies in a short time. It will involve a
    >tremendous amount of work. The reader should consider this article a call
    >to action on a specific course leading to colonies in space.
    >
    >[Lucifer] Thanks for scanning and posting this. How did the L5 membership
    >react to
    >the military-oriented meme?

    More or less didn't. The "call to action" fell on deaf ears.

    >Were your predictions more or less correct (about the
    >fraction that would resign over it)?

    Since it didn't happen, don't know how they would have reacted.

    >Was this proposal the last attempt to kickstart
    >the L5?

    More or less. The writing had been on the wall for a while. I don't
    remember exactly when we published the chapter out of Freeman Dyson's book
    _Disturbing the Universe_ but that laid out the problem, space was 10,000
    times to expensive to colonize. It would take a rise in income of about
    100 (possible during the run up to the singularity) and a reduction of 100
    in the cost of going into space . . . which is easy with a skyhook made of
    carbon nanotubes.

    >Did it die with the SDI?

    I think L5 died independent of SDI. For that matter, so did SDI.

    Keith Henson