RE: virus: Re: What does it mean to be me?

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 00:28:43 MST

    > ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Keith Henson" <hkhenson@rogers.com>
    You don't need to hear about some "I" meme in order to have an identity.

    [Blunderov]
    Umm. There doesn't seem to be too much doubt in my mind about just who
    it is that gets burned if I put my hand in a fire. If I could nominate
    someone else, Dubya for instance, to suffer those consequences I expect
    I would...

    To me, the complicated bit is how it is that we construct a contiguous
    internal narrative of ourselves in spite of the fact that we are not
    exactly the same now as we were a moment ago. Add to this the fact the
    fact that we quite often don't behave in the way we would ourselves
    predict - we seem able to assimilate our inconsistencies into the
    consistent system we call "I"!

    Clear as mud, I know, I know.

    Best Regards