virus: Re:why corn is evil

From: Kharin (kharin@kharin.com)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 09:22:45 MST

    "Let each individual make their own mind -and face the consequences of their decisions- about what they want to eat and drink. Better education and better access to consumer information is the only way to foster sustainable change in the food industry, while respecting an individual's personnal decision about his or her dietary preferences."

    As ever in such matters, I think demand has a greater role than supply in explaning such issues as obesity. However, I do have to quibble with the idea that education or consumer information is the solution. Changing cigarette adverts here so that they all had 'warning this product will consign you to a painful death' style notice only dented demand as I recall. In practice, both left and right have insisted on this platitude for differing reasons, but consumer are rarely won't to change their purchasing habits on the grounds of such information. Calls for greater transparency are usually symptomatic of an absence of trust and should certainly not be mistaken for the cure.

    ----
    This message was posted by Kharin to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29678>