virus: Re:Lexicon definition of atheism still not changed

From: metahuman (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 23:51:11 MST

    I apologize if I come off a bit aggressive, but I'm an advocate for effectivity and efficiency. Without correct and optimal definitions, memes can be distorted and become weak. If holes (or "bugs") are left in this system, someone inside or outside will eventually exploit these vulnerabilities and bring the Church of Virus down affirming my prediction.

    Regarding: http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29687

    [Lucifer]
    One vocal person took exception to the definition in the Virian lexicon

    [localroger]
    I'd agree with the unnamed vocal person that the Virian definition may be overly narrow. It implies a very positive belief in the nonexistence of God, while I see the term more as "a-theism" -- without theism -- absence of a positive belief on the matter at all.

    [metahuman/demon]
    Correction: 4 "vocal" people have taken issue with the INCORRECT CoV Lexicon definition of atheism. Hermit, Kalkor, Cliff Walker (Editor of Positive Atheism), and myself.

    Update: 5 including localroger.

    The current definition of atheism is incorrect and unsuitable for the CoV since the claim that god(s) do not exist is as irrational as the claim that god(s) do exist. Both claims require a strong cases with empirical evidence. Neither "strong" atheists or "strong" theists have provided such a thing. Despite David's disagreement with me on the matter that "strong" atheism is irrational while "weak" atheism is not (he's claimed that "strong" atheists have made a strong case for the non-existence of god(s) which is logically impossible for them to do so), "weak" atheism (aka. (a)gnostic atheism, (a)gnosticism) is the optimal position for Virians including all rationalists. Neutrality allows for objective empathy while the "strong" versions of atheism and theism do not. Consider that "strong" means arrogant or headstrong.

    Unfortunately, David doesn't seem to get it. The unchanged definition of atheism in the Lexicon is evidence of his disapproval and lack of objective empathy.

    [WRONG/CURRENT1]
    ATHEISM:(vl) The doctrine that there is no God. Atheists believe that there is insufficient evidence for God and/or that the concept of God is incoherent so its existence is logically impossible.

    [RIGHT/CANDIDATE1]
    ATHEISM:(vl) Godlessness. Atheists accept that there is insufficient evidence for the existence or non-existence of gods and/or that the incoherent concept of gods causes their actuality to be logically impossible.

    ----
    This message was posted by metahuman to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29566>