Re: virus: Re:Lexicon definition of atheism still not changed

From: Ant (antallan@mac.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 02:11:30 MST

    So... ?

    The Lexicon definition of atheism is: "The doctrine that there is no
    God. Atheists believe that there is insufficient evidence for God
    and/or that the concept of God is incoherent so its existence is
    logically impossible."

    Compare this to:
    "a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there
    is no deity" [Miriam-Webster; http://www.m-w.com/]

    These are equally clear that atheism is "a very positive belief in the
    nonexistence of God". Not uncertainty.

    There's no such thing as weak atheism (or "uncertain atheism"): what's
    been called weak atheism in this thread is really agnositicism!

    The Lexicon definition: The doctrine that the existence of God is
    unknown and probably unknowable.

    This definition is likely too narrow... it could usefully be extended
    in line with [MW]:
    (agnostic) "a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as
    God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly : one who is not
    committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of
    God or a god" [Miriam-Webster; http://www.m-w.com/]

    So, should the Lexicon definition of atheism be changed?

    No. To do so as suggested would be conflating it with the idiomatic
    meaning of agnosticism.

    But maybe in the second sentence... ?

    I don't think you can be so absolute about the reasons for such a
    doctrine. You should say, maybe, "Atheists may believe that...".
    Another possible reason is Occam's razor (essentially, the existence of
    God is unnecessary or at least unnecessarily complex). And there may be
    many other reasons...

    Regards,
    Ant