RE: virus: Memetic engineers (xposted from memetics list)

From: Michelle Anderson (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 10:10:41 MST

    [Lucifer] The Landmark Forum human potential cult has its origins in
    Scientology and est.
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=landmark+forum+cult@me

    Do you know anyone that was recruited?

    [Michelle] They tried to get me once, when I had graduated high school
    and maintained contacts with a dear mentor and teacher. She brought me
    to a forum, paid for it, and wanted to talk about it with me. Luckily
    my ex-wife was suspicious and I dropped the whole thing to avoid
    conflict before I'd even finished the three-day forum.

    The whole thing was well-engineered for an average person to suddenly
    find out how brilliant they are and "unlock their inner potential" and,
    much like the early stages of Scientology, seemed harmless enough for
    all that. But I could see the implications of a money-vacuum and a
    cultish ubertogetherness, and by the third day of the forum I thought it
    was overly aggressive in the sell and just felt uncomfortable.

    But as Erik said, the methods were my first introduction to such
    techniques and it was quite interesting. I would rather have been a fly
    on the wall than have been there, being stared at, however.

    :)
    MIchelle