Re: virus: Re:What's your law?

From: David McFadzean (david@lucifer.com)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 07:27:49 MST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Erik Aronesty" <erik@zoneedit.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 10:32 PM

    > The universe is actually a powerful computer running a massive simulation,
    > using a genetic algorithm designed to answer the question, "What is the
    > purpose of the universe?"

    If the universe has a purpose, this candidate would get my vote. When I first
    thought about the question my answer was that it has no purpose because the
    universe was (probably) not designed. It occurs to me now that origins can
    precede ascribed purposes. Not only is this possible, it is a fundamental
    property of evolutionary theory. Mutations are never designed for a purpose,
    they are random. The purpose (adaptation), if any, is discovered and exploited
    after the fact. Moreover, the purpose as a purpose is not formulated until
    an evolutionary biologist studies the problem and proposes a theory. So when
    and how does something acquire a purpose? It is not an simple question.

    Lucifer