Re: virus: Responsibility

From: Jake Sapiens (every1hz@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 23:53:14 MST

    I've been toying with this since you mentioned it. I think that
    responsibility, as you seem to understand it is implicit within the three
    virtues, Reason, Empathy, and Vision. Through empathy we become aware of
    the social sense of accountability; the way we come to understand that some
    individuals are more reliable than others, or the way that individuals may
    be more reliable in some ways and less so in others. Through reason and
    vision, we begin to see how we ourselves fit into this social universe, how
    we would like to fit into it, and how we can develop a sense of
    self-reliance - knowing that we can count on ourselves to follow through in
    ways that are good for ourselves. I think perhaps what we are really
    talking about here in this discussion is the fact that some people are
    generally unreliable in just about any way one could hope for in a social
    sense. Quite possibly they even view themselves as unreliable too. Here I
    think the senseless sins kick in to remind us of the senselessness of
    apathy.

    I like the virtues (reason, empathy, vision) and sins (hypocrisy, apathy,
    and dogmatism) because as concepts they are fairly straightforward. The
    problem I see with responsibility is that it can easily be used in ways
    that are crosswise, even though it does (and perhaps even because it does)
    seem to indicate some fairly important characteristics that we value in a
    social sense. We want others to think of us as responsible, and we quite
    freely make judgements about the responsibility of others, even if we may
    remain quiet about it. It's part and parcel of navigating the social
    universe as well of living within it. The problem comes in that we also
    tend to want to hold people responsible in unreasonable ways depending on
    our own interest in the situation. Just because I like X, and I think X is
    a good thing, doesn't mean that other people are responsible for X. For
    example, if someone believes that abstinence from vices is a good thing,
    then they would probably think I was pretty irresponsible. I, of course,
    wouldn't really give a damn, which they of course would interpret as
    irresponsible or even apathetic. If one thought were to think ethnic
    purity is a moral good, then to that person Milosovich is a quite
    responsible person. Of course we all think of responsibility is a good
    thing, but just as often people who make a virtue out of it are simply
    using it as club to beat people who disagree with them or otherwise don't
    share their interests. I think of responsibility as good thing more in the
    sense that I think of money as a good thing. Definitely a good thing, but
    not necessarily a virtuous thing.

    -Jake

    <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

    --- Jake Sapiens