virus: Huttonise history: the verdict

From: Mermaid (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 08:20:41 MST

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/hutton/story/0,13822,1146756,00.html

    The verdict is out...I didnt get most of the top 10..could be a brit thing..

    my favourites:

    Hutton on the crucifixion of Jesus Christ

    ("I am satisfied that the decision to crucify Jesus Christ was one that was made after an independent and rigorous trial by Pontius Pilate. I am further satisfied that Pilate's questioning of him was appropriate and that the Jewish and Roman authorities fully exercised their duty of care towards him.

    From the evidence I have heard, I conclude that Pilate acted impartially throughout, although I cannot entirely rule out the possibility that he was subconsciously influenced by thousands of people - led by the Jewish elders - shouting: "Crucify him, crucify him."

    The issues of whether the trial before the Jewish elders was fair, whether Jesus Christ is the son of God, and whether he deserved to die fall outside my remit, and I therefore wash my hands of them.")

    Hutton on Adam and Eve

    (Fruit: not found, but search continues )

    Hutton on the death of Thomas a Becket

    ("Archbishop Becket was a well known eccentric and I totally accept the evidence of the respected knights that he repeatedly ran at, and impaled himself upon, their swords when they entered the cathedral to make confession.

    "The suggestion that the knights had previously had any communication with King Henry is a gross calumny on the part of the BBC.")

    Hutton on the death of Ann Boleyn

    ("I am satisfied that Ms Boleyn took her own life by severing her neck from her body. In the months leading up to her death, she was under considerable pressure, particularly following gross allegations of adultery and her consequent trial for treason. No blame can be attached to the King for the emergence of the allegations for, as he himself said in evidence, "once it became public that the spouse of the monarch was accused of an adulterous affair with her brother, it was only a matter of time before Ms Boleyn's identity was made manifest". The comment by the King's agent to London criers, characterising Ms Boleyn as "a goggle-eyed whore" (for which he subsequently apologised) was regrettable, but had no bearing on the tragedy.

    "I was particularly impressed by the evidence of the Doctor of Physick who cited the possession of six fingers as indicative of suicidal tendencies." )

    Hutton on the Battle of Waterloo

    ("The Press inflated the affair and gave undue weight to what happened to the other 120,000 French soldiers in the field. Their behaviour during an ordinary weekend of vacation abroad was misinterpreted and reported with grave inexactitudes.")

    Hutton on the sinking of the Titanic

    Whats *your* favourite Hutton report?

    ----
    This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=29949>