RE: virus: Pentagon predictions

From: Jake Sapiens (every1hz@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 15:03:56 MST

    Thanks for bringing clarification to this article, Jonathan. That's one of
    the things I rely on the CoV for. It looks like the Observer was either
    neglectful or deceitful in attributing its source. Now that you have
    settled that, however, we ought to consider Schwartz's predictions and the
    political/scientific atmosphere in which they were made before the Observer
    ever got ahold of this issue.

    As I have followed global warming issues, it seems nobody really knows with
    certainty how global warming will play out, so I think Schwartz's
    predictions may be as good as anybody's. The late Carl Sagan in addressing
    global warming went to some lengths to point out that climate systems
    operate on both negative and positive feedback loops. The danger in
    dealing with that is that we don't know when or how we might fall into one
    of those positive feedback loops except in retrospect. As I have
    understood climatologists, the history of the Earth's climate is full of
    long periods of gradual changes punctuated by some short periods of drastic
    changes. It's difficult to know how these positive feedback loops will end
    except in retrospect. Regardless of exactly how drastic climate changes
    would play out, I think we can easily understand and agree that drastic
    changes of any kind on a global level would prove catastrophic for numerous
    human endeavors which rely on the climate remaining relatively stable.

    Considering the intended audience of the report (military planners who have
    to keep in mind worst case scenarios) I think that Schwartz's alarmist
    predictions are appropriate. The real concern comes, however, not in the
    necessarily speculative nature of his predictions, but in the fact that
    this administration still lives in denial of established science in many
    areas ranging from global warming to evolution. While we may not know the
    eventual consequences of global warming, the fact that it happening is
    generally beyond scientific dispute if not Bush's capacity for irrational
    denial of reality. It saddens me that some people who share this
    reasonable concern, do not necessarily share the journalistic
    diligence/integrity to effectively bring this to your attention. All
    things considered, I find the Bush administration's head-in-the-sand
    approach much more intellectually dishonest and dangerous than the
    Observer's journalistic problems. Neither is excusable, but I can live
    with one better than the other. So while I imagine that many Bush
    apologists may be congratulating themselves for attacking the Observer for
    its journalistic shortcomings, their continued denial of the real
    underlying issue remains inexcusable.

    love,

    -Jake

    Of
    > Mermaid
    > Sent: 28 February 2004 12:08
    > To: virus@lucifer.com
    > Subject: Re:virus: Pentagon predictions
    >

    > [quote from: Jonathan on 2004-02-27 at 07:17:02] Hi Eva,
    >
    > That Observer story was badly flawed. The report was not a report by the
    > Pentagon but a report for the Pentagon - a deliberate what if scenario for
    > their planners to use in the unlikely event those circumstances came
    about.

    > This link has the background...
    >
    > http://timblair.spleenville.com/archives/006051.php
    >
    > This looks like one where zeal overcame integrity at the
    Guardian/Observer.

    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=299
    > 75>
    > ---
    > To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to
    > <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>
    >

    > ---
    > To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to
    <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

    --- Jake Sapiens
    --- every1hz@earthlink.net