Re:RE virus: More bush democracy

From: Kharin (kharin@kharin.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 16:02:35 MST

    Blunderov wrote:

    "Someone, it may have been Churchill, once remarked that 'War is foreign policy by other means'."

    I believe you are probably thinking of Carl Von Clausewitz:

    “War is not merely a political act, but also a real political instrument, a continuation of political commerce, a carrying out of the same by other means. ... for the political view is the object, War is the means, and the means must always include the object in our conception”

    See: http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usawc/Parameters/04spring/fleming.htm

    Limbic wrote:

    "The United States has sanctions against Cuba (a communist dictatorship and long time enemy) and participated in UN sanctions against Saddam's Iraq. Occasionally it gets into tangles with other trade blocks like the protectionist EU, that is destroying Caribbean fruit farmers (amongst
    others) and the US is trying to help. "

    Hmm. For the most part, I am inclined to think that sanctions are rarely effective and rarely humane. They have a nasty habit of penalising the populace and leaving the elites unaffected. Unless the populace are able to put pressure on elites, sanctions afford no reliable mechanism for regime change (the only exception I can think of is Libya). In the case of Cuba, I think there is a very good case to be made for the sanctions having preserved the Castro regime.

    Regarding the allegedly protectionist EU, I have noted a sequence of defeats for the US at the WTO against complaints from many trade blocs, the EU amongst them. I hardly think the US a bastion of free trade.

    ----
    This message was posted by Kharin to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=29985>