virus: Exsqueeze me

From: Walter Watts (wlwatts@cox.net)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 13:07:38 MST

    From this months Scientific American letters to the editor:

    SOLAR SOLUTIONS
    “The Asteroid Tugboat,” by Russell L.
    Schweickart, Edward T. Lu, Piet Hut and
    Clark R. Chapman, discussed using larg-
    er launch vehicles and possibly nuclear
    push mechanisms to deflect threatening
    asteroids into unthreatening orbits. These
    ideas unnerved my sense of simplicity. Af-
    ter reading Philip Yam’s story about so-
    lar sails [“Light Sails to Orbit,” News
    Scan], I wonder if painting the asteroid sil-
    ver would turn the whole spinning nugget
    into a “solar sail” opposed to the sun and
    if this method would alter the orbit.
    Would the solar wind be enough to push
    such a painted asteroid away?
    David T. Hanawalt
    via e-mail
    Exsqueeze me, but some of the near-earth passing asteroids are the size
    of Manhattan.

    It might be a tad difficult to get that much silver paint into the
    shuttle's cargo bay.

    Walter

    --
    Walter Watts