RE: virus: WW needs electronics advice

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 11:04:12 MST

    -----Original Message-----
    From: owner-virus@lucifer.com [mailto:owner-virus@lucifer.com] On Behalf
    Of Walter Watts
    Sent: 18 March 2004 12:14 AM

    Are there any electronics experts around here. I need to know if
    connecting the sound cards from 2 different PCs through a Y-cord into 1
    sound system (external amp, sub, etc.) will cause any crosstalk or
    impedance problems. I thought about using a switch, but I would rather
    not.

    BTW, I'm not sure what crosstalk or impedance really mean, but I know
    enough to suspect they MIGHT be relevant.

    Thanks in advance for any advice,

    Walter

    [Blunderov] First a caveat: I am not an electronics expert. But since
    nobody else has replied I'll venture my thoughts.

    I don't think there would be a problem doing this assuming that the
    external amp has an input for a digital signal. (Alternatively, the
    sound cards would need to be able to produce an analogue signal. In this
    case it's possible that you would need to put a pre-amp into the circuit
    to produce sufficient signal for the amp to work with.)

    If the signal you are working with is digital, as it very likely is,
    then I don't believe impedance will be a problem. This is a rating of
    the resistance that an analogue circuit offers to the signal being sent
    along it (I believe).

    Neither do I believe that crosstalk would be a problem, I believe that
    this is an induction phenomenon and would only relate to analogue
    systems.

    It would probably be helpful if the sound cards were the same make.
    There is hideous plethora of methods of encoding and decoding video and
    audio signals and having fewer variables in the system is probably a
    good idea. That said, you are probably in no real danger here, assuming
    that the amp has a digital input option: it will either recognize the
    signal or it won't.

    If you are working only with digital it is very unlikely that you will
    harm anything in any of the systems, so if it was me, I would go ahead
    and give it a try.

    If you are sending a digital signal into an analogue input, you will
    need a device that converts that signal to an analogue signal first.

    These devices are commonly available but, as usual, the more you spend
    the better the quality. In theory anyway. Here it would be

    very prudent to get some well informed advice as to what sort of output
    levels would be suitable for the input of the amplifier.

    I think Bill Roh knows far more about this stuff than I do.

    Hope this helps.