virus: Infrasound as a Possible Source of Sensations Of the Paranormal

From: Walter Watts (wlwatts@cox.net)
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 01:29:35 MST

    Infrasound as a Possible Source of
    Sensations Of the Paranormal
    Recent research conducted by scientists
    at the National Physical Laboratory in
    England provides strong evidence that
    at least one source of paranormal phe-
    nomena may be the result of a very low
    frequency sound (in the range 10-20
    Hz) inaudible to humans called infra-
    sound. It is an extreme bass.
     Elephants use infrasound to commu-
    nicate over long distances or as a
    weapon to repel foes. Although people
    may not be able to hear it, sometimes
    we can feel it. Generated by natural phe
    nomena, such as storms, seasonal winds
    weather patterns, and some types of
    earthquakes, infrasound can produce a
    range of bizarre effects in people includ-
    ing anxiety, extreme sorrow, and chills.
     The study was conducted by Richar
    Lord, an acoustic scientist at the Nationa
    Physical Laboratory in England, and
    Richard Wiseman, a psychologist at the
    University of Hertfordshire, in Purcell
    Room, a concert hail in South London.
    Lord and Wiseman used a 22.5-foot pipe
    to generate the infrasound (17 Hz at lev-
    els of 6-8 decibels), testing it on 750 peo-
    ple who were attending a concert in
    London. The audience heard four con-
    temporary pieces of live music. Some of
    these were laced with infrasound.
    Audience members were then asked to
    describe their reactions to the music.
     According to Wiseman, ‘Some of
    the experiences in our audience includ-
    ed ‘shivering on my wrist’, ‘an odd feel-
    ing in my stomach’, ‘increased heart
    rate’, feeling very anxious’, and ‘a sud-
    den memory of emotional loss’.”
     The results showed that although
    members of the audience did not know
    which pieces included infrasound and
    were unable to consciously detect the
    infrasound, 22% reported unusual experi-
    ences when it was present in the music.
    These induded feelings of unease or sor-
    row, chills down the spine, or nervous
    feelings of revulsion or fear. As Wiseman
    told Reuters: “Some scientists have sug-
    gested that this level of sound may be
    present at some allegediy haunted sites
    and so cause people to have odd sensa-
    tions that they attribute to a ghost. Our
    findings support these ideas. This was an
    experiment done under controlled condi-
    tions and it shows infrasound does have
    an impact, and that has implications..
    a religious context and some of the