virus: Is The Universe Acausal, and Does God Exist?

From: Walter Watts (wlwatts@cox.net)
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 02:15:33 MST

    Is The Universe Acausal,
    and Does God Exist?
    In the Vol. 10, No. 2 review of Taner
    Edis’ The Ghost in the Universe Ronald
    Ehert points out the author’s deficiency
    in employing the consequences of
    quantum mechanics against cosmologi.-
    cal/ontological arguments for the exis-
    tence of God. I would like to retort that
    such deficiency is in fact non-existent
    and that if formulated properly, the
    argument may he invulnerable to the
    implications of quantum mechanics. I
    will start with a detailed outline of the
    theistic argument (which in its present
    form I attribute to Jeffrey Tiumak, pro-
    fessor of philosophy at Vanderbilt
    University):

    1. Everything that exists has a cause(s) or
    a reason(s).
    2. Natural causes are temporally prior to
    their effects.
    3. So nothing is a natural cause of itself
    4. There’s either a finite (F) succession of
    natural events or an infinite (I) succes-
    sion.
    5. If (F), the first natural event would
    itself require a cause or a reason.
    6 This cause cannot itself be natural by
    hypothesis (given 2 and 3).
    7. So if nature is finite it has a reason that
    is supernatural (5, 6).
    8. If (I), the succession taken as a whole
    requires a cause or a reason.
    9. There can’t be a natural cause external
    to the succession (by hypothesis also).
    10. No natural event within the succes-
    sion explains the whole.
    11. The whole of natural succession is
    not self-explanatory.
    12. E.v nihilo nihil fit.
    13. Invoking chance does not help here
    (see below).
    14. So nature has a supernatural cause.
    15. This cause (Deity) exists necessarily,
    since supposing otherwise invokes
    contradiction.

     The reviewer’s thesis that quantum
    mechanics invalidates (1) does not hold
    water in my opinion. However limited
    my understanding of quantum phenom-
    ena is, I do not consider a statement
    that quantum events “just happen” with-
    out a cause/explanation to he entirely
    accurate. While negating strict determin-
    ism, they do not negate the possibility
    of explanation, insofar as a probabilistic
    explanation is still considered to be an
    explanation. Notice also, that antecedent
    events do have a “collapsed” wave
    function, i.e. are observable, and thus
    can be used as a cause/reason of the
    events that follow. An example may be
    appropriate: the fact that lottery results
    are expressed as probabilities does not
    imply that a particular outcome “just
    happened” and that no explanation for
    it can be offered. If (1) was negated by
    quantum mechanics, walking out of the
    window of the 25th floor would have
    an uncertain outcome (it isn’t even nec-
    essary for me to fall down, as opposed
    to up). Finally, Ebert’s conclusions that
    the “universe is fundamentally acausal”
    is rather vague in a sense that it is not
    clear what is understood by “fundamen-
    tally.” If the latter refers to the origin of
    the universe, such statement has no
    basis—we simply have no idea what
    laws, if any, govern the origin of the
    universe. Concepts of “cause,” “reason,”
    or “chance” are hardly applicable here.
     This does not, of course, mean that
    the theistic argument above is valid.
    One can attack (5) and (8) on the
    basis that they extend ‘reason”
    beyond, in Kantian terms, the possible
    experience. One can attack (8) on the
    basis that it does not follow from (1)
    (compositional fallacy).
    —Yaroslav Alekseyev, Vanderbilt University

    Ebert Replies
    Contrary to Alekseyev’s opening state-
    ment, I pointed out that Edis was suc-
    cessful and not deficient in employing
    quantum mechanics against cosmologi-
    cal/ontological arguments for the exis-
    tence of God. Alekseyev’s arguments
    are an attempt to use philosophy to tri-
    umph over science, hut no philosophi-
    cal argument can negate an experimen-
    tal fact. The EPR experiments were
    designed to force any hidden variables,
    the causes of quantum phenomena, to
    manifest. None were found. In the
    decades since experiments of this type
    have been run, a few imaginary alter-
    natives have been proposed, but no
    one has come up with any alternative
    that is testable, even in principle with
    technology we do not yet possess, a
    crucial requirement in science. Unless
    and until this happens, we have to
    conclude that quantum phenomena do
    not have causes.
     There is a critical difference
    between classical ignorance and quan-
    tum ignorance. The example of not
    knowing how a lottery number was
    chosen is a situation of classical igno-
    r’ance. If we follow every minuscule
    force applied as lottery numbers are
    put together and then drawn, we
    could calculate the result. We could
    indeed do this in principle, but as a
    practical matter the information is too
    vast and too difficult to acquire. For a
    lottery draw the information is there,
    but we don’t know what it is. In con-
    trast, we could ask what caused a vir-
    tual particle pair to come into exis-
    tence. The answer is, there isn’t any
    cause. It is not that the information is
    there but we aren’t clever enough to
    acquire it. The information is simply
    not there to he acquired.
     Although we do not yet have theo-
    ries that fully describe singularities and
    which could give us a full understand-
    ing of the origin of the universe, any
    such theory must incorporate the
    known and well verified theories of
    relativity and quantum mechanics, in
    the same way that relativity incorpo-
    rates Newtonian mechanics. That
    means that any such theory is going to
    be fundamentally indeterminate the
    way that quantum mechanics is, and
    we should not look to it to re-intro-
    duce causes hack into the picture.
     Finally, my statement that the uni-
    verse is fundamentally acausal refers
    to the fact that our macroscopic classi-
    cal world is an emergent one from the
    quantum realm. Determinism only
    shows up in the classical world, and
    so it too is emergent and not funda-