RE: virus: Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

From: Casey (cmanisca@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 07:41:48 MST

    I enjoyed "Lost in Translation" very much. The main focus of the movie finds the viewer
    watching two very different people, in very different places in their respective lives, finding one another and beginning a wonderful, if short-lived, relationship in a country that is foreign to them, as well. Throughout the movie the viewer is offered fresh, crisp scenery brought to us by well-done cinematography. Many of the scenes throughout brought wonder and amazement to my eyes. I saw glimpses of Tokyo that I haven't seen before. The character development was excellent. Watching Bill Murray languishing in the middle of a business trip, only to have Ms. Johannsen's coax the energy out of him was, to put it simply, a spectacle to behold. It's not a typical scenario, by any means. Not often enough does this happen in real life, nor is it done with such perfection as it is in this movie. Sofia Coppola has done a wonderful job of bringing together two very good actors and letting them work their magic. It's well-worth the visit to the cinema, or your local video store for renting.

    As a side note: I recently saw "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and enjoyed it, too!

    I'd recommend all of you to see this movie, based on a Charlie Kaufman screenplay (the same fellow who wrote the screenplay for "Being John Malkovich"). This movie is not your typical silly humorous flick highlighting Jim Carrey's wild antics; rather, it's in line with his thought provoking role he had in "Truman". To put in it simpler terms, he takes this role and runs with it. Carrey is perfect in his delivery and very refreshing compared to some of his over-the-top roles he's taken up in the past. In this movie he is a regular fellow whose life is just what it seems - plain, simple, and very normal. The supporting cast is excellent. Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Elijah Wood, Mike Ruffalo and Tom Wilkinson add to the movie in ways that make this a top-shelf production. I highly recommend anyone who has seen and enjoyed "Being John Malkovich" to see this movie; even if you didn't enjoy "Being John Malkovich" you will enjoy this. But, be forewarned, this movie may reduce you to tears; it's that
     evocative. Enjoy!

    http://www.eternalsunshine.com/

    Kind regards,
    Casey

    ----
    This message was posted by Casey to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30060>