virus: Re:That hell-bound train

From: Kharin (kharin@kharin.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 10:02:26 MST

    Bloch is well worth reading, though he's best known for writing a novel called 'Psycho.' Apparently someone turned it into a film...

    There's a nice website about Bloch at: http://mgpfeff.home.sprynet.com/bloch.html

    "Would you be able to cut the deal, and how? Would you be able to identify the happiest (or a happy enough) moment of your life and get yourself to stop the watch?"

    I think I'd be wary. A lot of literature tends to depict states of pure happiness as being somewhat aimless, a perpetual state of lethargy caused by the absence of anything to strive for. Of course, much of that literature tends to be christian, but much the same thing has always struck me about the christian idea of heaven. I think George Bernard Shaw put it well:

    "Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so dull, so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have described a day at the seaside."

    ----
    This message was posted by Kharin to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30100>