virus: Re:mailing list archives where art thou?

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 08:44:44 MST

    [bricoleur]
    Are the archives for the mailing list no longer available? I notice that only 2004 is currently available at Javien.

    [rhinoceros]
    True. Only the messages since March 2004 are available at forum.javien.com.

    I don't know what the relationship between javien.com and CoV is, but I feel that a solution must be found one way or another because the archives are valuable. Many Google searches turn up random posts from lucifer.com/virus even now. Although the archives are far from "the ultimate wisdom", they offer an overall perspective. I find even my own blunders interesting and helpful.

    For example, I once wondered (as many others did before) whether Popper's "falsifiability" principle was itself falsifiable or not. Much later, I came to realize that it was a silly question, because "falsifiability" was not a statement about reality but a demarcation based on logic -- a kind of definition of what should be treated as meaningful and scientific -- and definitions are tautological (by definition ;) ) and they are only judged by their logical consistency, applicability, and utility. I was not really embarassed when I realized it. On the contrary, it helped me see how active participation in a discussion can help develp a more mature outlook.

    Back to the archives issue. The full archives are not accessible anywhere on the net any more. Do any of you think that it is important to have them fully indexed and easily accessible? Do you think it is important enough to start a project and to offer money/bandwidth/expertise/work if that is what is needed? Any volunteers? Lucifer, did I get the technical needs right?

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30118>