Re: virus: The Berg Execution

From: Erik Aronesty (erik@zoneedit.com)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 15:14:50 MDT

    : Are you referring to Amerigo
    : Vespucci's letter to Pier Soderini, : Gonfalonier of the Republic of
    : Florence?

    Yes, and the books he authored on similar and more elaborate whimsy.

    Both America and Amerigo love tall tales of high adventure. I find it appropriate that our country, the worlds largest producer of fanciful tales, was named after such a man.

    Because as much as Amerigo was a master salesman, he really did inspire many people to learn about the world.

    America is very much like that. Being in love with fantasy is a mixed bag. Sometimes our skill in storytelling gets in the way of the truth. But sometimes it leads us to progress and places we would have never explored otherwise.

    I know that in my life, I'm the same way. Sometimes I put my foot in my mouth. Other times, by eggagerating and bragging, I actually wind up causing things to happen in my life. Like my skidiving trip this weekend...