RE: virus: Re:Banality of Evil and Digital Photography

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 03:39:17 MDT

    The US does not have that much economic misery. The US economy was primarily
    shaped by the Clinton years.
    It is not Bush who talks about the US economic recovery (from the slight
    recession that started in the last years of the Clinton Administration) but
    the press. Here is a typical report from a South African publication -
    http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2076154&fSectionId=631&fSetId=3
    04 . Yes the Abu Ghraib abusers came from poor backgrounds, but then again
    virtually all non-ranking soldiers are drawn from the domestic poor. This is
    why blacks and
    Hispanics are so over-represented in those ranks.

    The contempt shown world wide for these wrongdoers was coloured by a
    familiar bigotry. Not only did these people commit these wrongs but worse,
    they "hillbillies", "backwoodsmen" or "trailer trash". America's white rural
    poor are the only group one can attack with impunity and let loose the full
    broadside of bigotry and group hatred. Even the gentlemanly Boris Johnson
    could not check himself.

    Lynndie England is in many ways exemplary. Born to extreme poverty, she
    worked and planned her way out of poverty. She could have been a perfect
    American Dream candidate. Need she be imprisoned and heavily punished? I do
    not think that would be just. Catch the people who might have murdered
    prisoners. Catch the people who might have tortured them.

    But the people who frightened and humiliated them - people like Lynndie
    England - their wrongs in my mind and not even crimes. This is the reality
    of war and interrogation. I suspect that England and company were directed
    by Military Intelligence and that these interrogation methods were
    successful.

    If it were discovered that these interrogations saved US lives, would that
    make a difference? Given a choice would you accept this: One of your
    soldiers lives saved for 10 of the enemy humiliated?

    I think we ought to stop the hypocritical finger pointing at these
    miscreants and face up the messy task of fighting enemies that not only do
    not share our values or restraint but actively use them against us.

    It is time to adapt and that adaptation might mean that the gentlemanly
    rules of engagement and prisoner care developed by and for civilised people
    be not apply when facing enemies that scorn those rules.

    An enemy whose Commander in Chief personally apologises for the wrongdoings
    of a tiny number of renegade soldiers sets the upper standard. An enemy that
    beheads captives, ransoms body parts or flies whole plane loads of its
    prisoners into buildings, sets the opposite, lowest standard.

    Regards

    Jonathan