RE: virus:Bush, Napoleon And The Crusades

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 10:31:12 MDT

    [Blunderov]
    An historical perspective.
    Best Regards
    <q>
    Bush, Napoleon And The Crusades
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/17/opinion/fenton/main617712.shtml

    <snip>

    Huntington is convinced that the war in Iraq was a bad idea. Before it began, he predicted it would be two wars. The war against Saddam Hussein and his army would be quickly won, but the war against the Iraqi people, which is now taking an increasing toll of American lives, the United States "will never win."

    [Jonathan Davis]
    Thanks for this B. Interesting, but this analysis misses the most obvious example - The British in Egypt - and one of the best historians, Niall Fergusson.

    [rhinoceros]
    Excuse my ignorance, Jonathan, but looking at Egypt today and in the last 50 years, I wonder what Fergusson's claim was.

    I'll take it that you were not making an argument for Egypt's occupation itself, but only for the feasibility of subdueing peoples.

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30312>