RE: virus: The Rumsfeld wriggle.

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 05:30:48 MDT

    Oh no! Does this mean that they will lose the "protections" of having their
    captives beheaded, enemy combatants disguised as civilians, the enemy firing
    from holy places and the enemy using false surrender to launch attacks? Now
    I pity them!

    Of course I am just gently ribbing you B, but there is a serious point here.

    Firstly in this war they have never been protected by the conventions anyway
    because the enemy simply did not operate under their constrictions. White
    flags used as tactical ruses and the beating (and murder) of captives was
    and is routine. These breaches have not been disavowed by the enemy
    leadership nor were they exceptional. This cannot be said of the US breaches
    which have been exposed, denounced and the miscreants are in the process of
    being punished. The USA is a signatory of the conventions and overwhelmingly
    accepts and applies the provisions of those conventions.

    Can anyone show me where the current Insurgents have signed up? Can anyone
    show me where they have ever respected these conventions?

    Seems to me a bit like saying to a guy obeying Queensbury rules in a boxing
    match "Uh oh, one of your punches landed low, your opponents gloves are
    coming off!" whilst his opponent has been wearing knuckdusters and kicking
    for the groin all along.

    Regards

    Jonathan