Re: virus: Nick Berg email I got

From: Erik Aronesty (erik@zoneedit.com)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 09:53:04 MDT

    > [Erik]
    > I'll agree with you that advancement in knowledge is progress, and that
    > finding holes in theories is one way to create new distinctions and
    thereby
    > advance knowledge.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Advancement of knowledge is only ever made by addressing and correcting
    > other people's theories and information, not by finding fault with a
    person
    > or group of people.
    >
    > [Kalkor]
    > So, what you're saying is this:
    >
    > There has never been an advancement of knowledge that did not in some way
    > involve correcting someone else's theory.
    > Finding holes in theories is ONE way to advance knowledge.
    > Explain the contradiction above.

    [Erik]

    The context was in the area of "finding fault". In the area of "finding
    fault", advancement of knowledge is only made by finding holes or
    inconsistencies with the theories or ideas. It is not ever made by finding
    fault with a person, as a person.

    Contradiction explained. Thanks.

    [Kalkor]

    > And explain to me how "correcting other people's theories and information"
    > must necessarily be separate from "finding fault".

    I distinguish between people and their ideas. I don't think that a person's
    ideas are who they are.

    > Currently, you're telling
    > me that the reason I do not agree with your statement is because of an
    > ambiguity of definition you embarked on when making it. One I sought to
    > clarify.

    Indeed. The ambiguitiy is around the understanding of finding fault with a
    person, versus finding fault with what a person said or did.

    > One *can* be faulted for writing something that turns out later to be
    > incorrect.

    No, only the writing can be faulted. Not

    > Or even something that is known to be incorrect. That person can
    > be said to be "at fault" for writing something false.

    No, the writing can be said to be false. The person, on the other hand, is
    just a person.

    > I submit:
    > That I have advanced at least one person's knowledge of debate through
    this
    > discussion. True progress.

    I submit that we both have advanced each other's knowledge to this
    excercise. We both deserve the credit for each other's argument for
    without which our own argument would not have been needed.