virus: Re:Tower of Brahma

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 09:33:43 MDT

    [rhinoceros 1]
    I saw no answer to how you can combine eight 8s to form the number 700, using only the eight 8s, the +-*/ signs and parentheses. If nobody finds an answer by tomorrow this is automatically declared a "TDCoV problem" (Too Difficult for the Church of Virus).

    [rhinoceros]
    Update: It was not "technically" a TDCoV problem after all. I received a solution from an unnamed lurking virian, which proves that we do have the potential...

    <begin quote>

    Solution:
    88 * 8 - (8 + 8 + 8 + 8) / 8

    Methodology:
    I began by considering "888 - n" where the result of n would have to equal 188, and to generate the 188 started by exploring the power series (i.e. 8, 64, 512, 4096). I realized this was a false path as it would take too many of the eights. So I tried "88 * 8", yielding 704, which I immediately observed left the trivial problem of finding a means of providing a result of 4 while consuming 5 eights. Combining the two made for the above.

    While the BODMAS precedence rules allow for 'most terse' expression of solutions, I personally prefer and encourage the use of a more explicit (and computer friendly) articulation reflecting the precedence clustering, e.g.:

    (88 * 8) - ((8 + 8 + 8 + 8) / 8)

    My actual notes (I used a text editor) during the "hunt":
    8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8

    888 - 188

    188 =

    8 * 8 * 8 * 8 = 4096
    8 * 8 * 8 = 512
    8 * 8 = 64

    88 * 8 = 704

    Writing this note and explaining the method used took much longer than finding the solution... as is so often the case.

    <unnamed virian's greeting>
    <unnamed virian's signature>
    <end quote>

    [rhinoceros]
    I take notice of the last comment which may be of some value regarding "how we think".

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=29971>