RE: virus: Clarke claims responsibility

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 22:45:40 MDT

    Joe Dees
    Sent: 26 May 2004 11:35 PM
    (Joe) So dies another Bush-Bin Ladin conspiracy theory.
    Blunderov]
    Maybe it's not that clear cut?

    <snippets>
    Roemer (D-Ind.), one of the 10 members of the bipartisan Sept. 11
    commission, said in an interview Monday: "In my mind, this isn't resolved
    right now. We need more clarity and information from the relevant political
    sources and FBI sources."

    (Hamilton)cautioned that this is "a story that could shift, and we still
    have this under review."

    This new account of the events seemed to contradict Clarke's sworn testimony
    before the Sept. 11 commission at the end of March about who approved the
    flights.

    "The request came to me, and I refused to approve it," Clarke testified. "I
    suggested that it be routed to the FBI and that the FBI look at the names of
    the individuals who were going to be on the passenger manifest and that they
    approve it or not. I spoke with the - at the time - No. 2 person in the FBI,
    Dale Watson, and asked him to deal with this issue. The FBI then
    approved...the flight."

    "That's a little different than saying, 'I claim sole responsibility for it
    now,'" Roemer said yesterday.

    However, the FBI has denied approving the flight.

    FBI spokeswoman Donna Spiser said, "We haven't had anything to do with
    arranging and clearing the flights."

    Instead of putting the issue to rest, Clarke's testimony fueled speculation
    among Democrats that someone higher up in the administration, perhaps White
    House Chief of Staff Andy Card, approved the flights.

    "It couldn't have come from Clarke. It should have come from someone further
    up the chain," said a Democratic Senate aide who watched Clarke's testimony.

    Clarke's testimony did not settle the issue for Roemer, either.

    "It doesn't seem that Richard Clarke had enough information to clear it,"
    Roemer said Monday.

    "I just don't think that the questions are resolved, and we need to dig
    deeper," Roemer added. "Clarke sure didn't seem to say that he was the final
    decisionmaker. I believe we need to continue to look for some more answers."
    </snippets>