RE: virus: Joe's complaint

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 08:48:57 MDT

    Joe sets out a legitimate and well argued position . He is not advocating
    the murder of children or genocide or anything like the sort of things that
    for example Palestinian terrorists do deliberately and find passive support
    in this forum.

    Joe would be entitled to be enraged by some of the things he reads here:
    Sympathy for his country's military foes, regular personal attacks against
    him, a strong anti-US dogma occupying the mainstream and double standards in
    the application of rules and group censure (i.e. people look away or openly
    support Irvken whereas when Joe comes anywhere near this level of
    vituperation he is chided).

    I thought we disagreed with personal attacks on principle, regardless of the
    individual's beliefs about how justified their odium? If we are going to
    introduce subjective values and arbitrary judgements about who is and is not
    worthy of abuse, then we may as well switch to "anything goes" and prepare
    to have this digital commons destroyed.

    Try and have some respect for diversity, folks. People like Joe and I differ
    from the mainstream political views of this micro-culture. If you discuss
    political matters, then be prepared to hear from us as members of this
    community. If we are so utterly wrong and so many of you regularly claim,
    then simply prove us wrong.

    It seems that the most shrill denunciations and expressions of outrage are
    not based on what Joe says per se, but stem from an inability to suppress
    him intellectually.

    Kind regards

    Jonathan