Re: Re:virus: Joe's complaint

From: Erik Aronesty (erik@zoneedit.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 17:03:28 MDT

    Organizations that survive the loss of their leader do so because the leader was careful to make sure he wasn't necessary. This process usually makes the leader, and the organizaton, more and more popular.

    The simplest way to do this is to start with an elected “board” and “chair”.

    Example:

    We can say that the top 5 members by reputation are the board and the #1 member is the chair.

    The board makes all decisions by majority vote. Any member of the board can propose a decision. The chair can veto a decision, and organizes board meetings so that everyone on the board has an equal say. The chair is the “ostensible head” of the organization.

    Decisions can include policy changes, website software updates, etc. The chair, with veto power, ultimately decides which sorts of decisions are within thwe realm of the board.