Re: virus: Truth and Fiction

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 15:18:23 MDT

    [simul]
    So, basically it's OK if someone works for attention and status when that status is obtained via a car, but not when that status is a cult? I see them as the same.

    [rhinoceros]
    I think it is neither OK nor not OK. It is basically an evolutionary argument -- it tries to figure out what is going on, but doesn't tell you what you *should* do. This was probably the most important misconception which didn't let Sociobiology (the Evolutionary Psychology of the 60s) get off the ground. A naturalist fallacy which made Sociobiology look "normative", a lot like Social Darwinism.

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30362>