RE: virus: FW: News Coverage as a Weapon

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 03:12:28 MDT

    Joe Dees
    Sent: 29 May 2004 07:34 AM

    Why the Watchdogs Need Watching
    By Bruce Thornton
    http://victorhanson.com/Articles/Private%20Papers/Why_Watchdogs_Need_Watchin
    g.html

    [Blunderov] An article which in my view has almost no redeeming features. It
    amounts to whining that the news is not covered in a manner congenial to the
    author's preconceptions.

    A central flaw is that it fails to realize that virtue is its own reward.
    The contention that, for instance, 'Dog declines to bite passing man' should
    be reported if the press is to be considered truly 'objective' is risible to
    me.

    Anyway, where is it written that it is the function of the press to be
    objective? It is the function of the press to be critical in the same way
    that it is the function of watch-dogs to bite.

    Touching for a moment on the 'liberal press', assuming for a moment that
    there is in fact any such beast at all, how do we account for its existence?
    I would be inclined to ascribe it to superior intelligence, education and
    critical thinking skills finding their natural expression in a free society.
    So if this is what 'liberal press' means, then I'm all for it.

    Best Regards

    PS I have to assume that Bruce Thornton is a member of that other sterling
    institution the 'illiberal press'.