virus: Darwin's mishap in Italy

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 03:58:27 MDT

    No evolution for Italian teens
    April 28, 2004
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20040428/04

    Scientists, teachers shocked by plan to cut evolutionary teaching in secondary school

    Darwin back in Italy's schools
    April 29, 2004
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20040429/01

    Science and education minister changes her mind on teaching evolutionary theory

    [rhinoceros]
    From my corner of the world, I must say that creationism was something new to me, which I encountered for the first time on the Web. Although we always had religion classes at school and the Greek orthodox church used to pervade all aspects of society (less so today), evolution was never cast in doubt. The religion teachers and the clergy were just avoiding to cross science -- they were viewing creation as a metaphor and trying to point out the "invisible hand" behind any scentific theory or fact. I wonder whether that can change now. Globalization has so many facets...

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30241>