Re:virus: War & Peace / Rethinking Iraq

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 18:31:18 MDT

    [Joe Dees]
    Oh, great! Diplomatic, military and foreign policy wisdom from the touchy-feely Calafornia guru-ess - to - the - stars. And posted by Common Dreams, yet! I wonder how Znet and the Yellow News got scooped.

    [rhinoceros]
    Apparently this was about the article by Marianne Williamson, pasted here by Jei. (http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0420-14.htm)

    Although I would not go on a pilgrimage to Agra, India, myself -- hell, I haven't even attended a Magick ritual in my whole life -- still I might feel compelled to say something meaningful about the author's argument if I thought she was wrong. Her argument seems to be this:

    <begin quote>
    A nation is a collection of individuals, and individuals are deeply influenced by their feelings. Imposing your will on others is a basically disrespectful stance, and showing disrespect --- particularly to an Arab male, whose culture so focuses on honor and respect -- is psychologically and emotionally inept."
    <end quote>

    As for the rest, I don't know about Yellow News but I do visit Znet (http://www.zmag.org) pretty often, fully aware of what I will find there: A wide collection of articles, from both mainstream and independent sources, clearly committed to the worldview(s) of the left. Among the unavoidable space-filler, there is always good material with critical thought and news which did not make it to the newsstands and TV. They also seem to have a special relationship with Noam Chomski. Highly recommended, even for putting your own arguments to a test.

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30244>