RE: virus: More cyber-squatting

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 23:34:39 MDT

    rhinoceros
    Sent: 04 May 2004 03:09 AM

    [rhinoceros]
    I understand that I digress from the cybersquatting topic but I couldn't
    help it.

    Paul Morphy was a young American genius who suddenly appeared in Europe at
    the age of 21 (1858) and crushed all the sacred cows of chess; he was a
    really tragic figure. His understanding of the game, especially the way he
    utilized "time" on the board, was half a century ahead of his time. He
    retired quickly, discouraged by the hostility and intrigue he faced in
    Europe, returned home and practiced law. At home, he faced something worse:
    Contempt for being a chess player.

    http://www.chathurangam.com/Legends/

    <begin quote>
    He totally broke down when a lady turned down his proposal stating that she
    would not marry a "mere chess player". By this time he became a psychotic
    and suffered from delusion syndrome. Morphy died in New Orleans in July,
    1884 at the age of 47.
    <end quote>

    Although the chess community does aknowledge Morphy's genius today,
    cybersquatters don't, probably because he won't show up to make a bid for
    the domain name. Or is it because brand names have an expiration date?

    [Blunderov] A happy digression :) Periodically in chess-lists the debate
    arises - 'who was the greatest ever?' Of course the question is largely
    specious as 'we all stand on the shoulders of giants.'

    But Paul Morphy really does have a claim in this regard. He brought about a
    paradigm shift in chess and stood head and shoulders above all his
    contemporaries to an extent that has never since been equaled.

    Best Regards