RE: virus: War & Peace / Rethinking Iraq

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 12:44:23 MDT

    Now you have heard of the sources you can learn something from them. I refer
    to them for my position on WMDs (an issue I think is a red herring).

    I did not claim you were spiteful. I asked a question. That said, I envision
    the Iraqi Governing Council taking on June 30th. I expect Jihadis and Syrian
    insurgents to do their best to disrupt the process of normalisation for
    Iraq. I expect them to fail. To speak of our failure is absurd, the fight is
    not nearly over.

    You may have been wrong about WMD but I was not. I have said all along
    there is a threat, I maintain there was. That we have not discovered where
    the weapons went does not mean they did not exist (in fact we know for
    certain they existed) but merely they have been hidden, destroyed or moved
    out of Iraq.

    For the record, I am not just *like* a right wing wacko, right wing wackos
    source their ideas and inspiration from me! Invoking the old "you must be
    insane to argue with me", however, is a bit lame. I am a sinner, sure, but
    so are we all.

    You may have imagined that Saddam had chemical shells ready to fire on the
    front lines. I however was sceptical of those sorts of intelligence claims
    and maintained that Saddam probably had a program of some sort - labs,
    assembling know how etc. - combined with the money and will to make it
    happen if he chose meaning he may at some point develop and use such
    weapons. That was not an acceptable position in my opinion (and President
    Bush's apparently). I also wanted (and want) to know what happened to the
    chemical weapon stockpiles the Weapon Inspectors left behind. I expect these
    will turn up at a Syrian backed terrorist atrocity before too long.

    If Bush had said that "I am not absolutely certain about WMD" and not gone
    to war and Hussein did have them and used them on say Israel, provoking a
    nuclear response, then he would have been blamed for ignoring repeated and
    pressing intelligence assessments. He would have been denounced as
    irresponsible and blamed for not acting on a threat. Is this not what he is
    being blamed for doing at the 9/11 commission? Not acting on threats?

    Iraq will be fine. These are early days. I will be ribbing you about these
    breathless doomsaying in years to come, just as I still rib those who
    predicted millions of dead Afghan refugees etc in the Afghan war.

    Regards

    Limbic