RE: virus: Disney blocking Moore film

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 01:09:53 MDT

    Erik Aronesty
    Sent: 07 May 2004 02:12 AM

    Curious,

    What do you guys think of Disney blocking Moore's film?

    Clearly it's not a profit-motivated move, since the movie stands to be very
    profitable if past performance is any indication. And boycotts on Disney
    are going to hurt them as well.

    Turns out that Jeb Bush has Disney over a barrel in Florida. And Moore
    can't even buy back his own film, since it's not for sale.

    My guess is that it will be all over Kazaa and that people will be holding
    "michael moore benefit screenings" within the next 2 months unless Disney
    gives in to the boycott pressure.

    ---
    [Blunderov] It is a mystery to me how the establishment consistently manages
    to exercise such a death grip over media content in a so called free
    society.
    The other day on a program called 'Sue Somebody-or Other: FBI' (a saccharine
    effort at promoting the idea that the deaf are just as capable as anybody
    who is hearing) the plot was clearly designed more to persuade viewers that
    they should be happy to waive their civil liberties in the interests of a
    secure America than it was to entertain.
    I would be interested in finding out how the meme 'insurgent' has been so
    successfully implanted throughout the world media instead of the correct
    'resistance'. The Pentagon spin doctors have achieved a notable success
    here; 'insurgent' has the meaning of rebellion against an established
    authority whereas 'resistance' applies to persons in a conquered, or nearly
    conquered, country who continue to oppose their conquerors by whatever means
    they can muster. In the first case the implication is that the perpetrators
    are hot-heads, in the second that they are heroes.
    A thought provoking quote from John le Carres recent novel 'Absolute
    Friends' - "The politicians lie to the press, the press print the lies, the
    lies become public opinion".
    Another especially for my comrade Joe: "A terrorist is a man with a bomb but
    no airplane."
    Best Regards