RE: virus: All This Useless Beauty

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 20:20:55 MDT

    [Blunderov]
    <q>
    All This Useless Beauty
    Finding beauty through craft in digital technology

    http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cs/cri/adrc/research2/pixelraiders/papers/papwall.htm

    [rhinoceros]
    The idea in the title was very promising but I am afraid most of the essay went over my head. Beauty as function is a... beautiful idea. The last quotation led me to more familiar ground.

    "Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in this world for ugly mathematics." -- G H Hardy, A Mathematician’s Apology

    There was an interesting article in Salon a while back:

    Math = beauty + truth / (really hard)
    http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/09/05/math_prizes/

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30278>