logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-20 09:17:39 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2003

Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians  (Read 6349 times)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians
« on: 2003-07-30 16:03:32 »

Response to Lucifer's "Re:A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy"
http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=28832

We all know that the CoV is essentially broken in two right now.

On the one side is a small group that embraces the US Government, thinks that no media is more accurate and fair than that of the US, consider war a necessary evil to prevent worse, and imagine that the entire world would be better off adopting "American values". This group, while smaller, has an advocate, Joe Dees, who apparently has an enormous amount of time to make posts which completely dominate the forums which we have established.

On the other we have a much larger group of people who mistrust the US Government, disbelieve the US media, oppose war on the grounds that it will only impoverish and gain us enemies, and encourage accepting that people are different, but emphasize that differences are not necessarily a bad thing. Even in this group, all is not well. Some large number of its members consider that the importance they ascribe to the freedom of expression and individual responsibility means that the first group should not be interfered with. We are, they (correctly) say, all Virians and "entitled" to use our forums. A second, probably equally large sub-group disagree. They assert (correctly) that we have been "hijacked", as we can no longer discuss a vast range of topics, cannot even respond to blatantly fallacious material due to the fact that they will likely result in a "war of words", and no longer feel particularly inspired to work towards improving things. This, they say, justifies moderating the forums or ejecting members (the author is in this group).

Other less important issues are present, probably potentially divisive, but at this stage, likely resolvable. Only those noted above do not seem readily bridgeable. At this point, there is no apparent way to reconcile these groups, although I am sure that all three groups being represented by intelligent, principled people, will concur that the continuous fighting between them destroys the value of the community, and drives potential recruits away in droves; leaving the core community to preside over a wasteland of self-destruction and largely (but fortunately not entirely) devoid of reward or joy. Unfortunately, all of them value their own principles to such an extent that none are prepared to budge or regard their positions as self-destructive. No matter who you ask, "honesty" compels them to admit that it is all the fault of the "other" group.

Of course, we are not entirely alone. Lucifer's post reminds us of other communities that are no more, due to not entirely unrelated battles. This does tend to happen more in on-line discussion communities which attract diverse populations than in off-line communities which tend to be more geographically bound and interest driven and thus less diverse or more prepared to put aside their differences. Yet even in "real-world" environments such battles happen remarkably frequently (And getting in a small dig, more under Dubya than ever before). Let me illustrate with a common parable.
    A man was walking across a bridge one day, and saw another man standing on the edge, about to jump off.
    So he ran over to him and said, "Stop! Don't do it!"
    "Why shouldn't I?", the man said.
    "Well, there's so much to live for!"
    "Like what?" he asked.
    "Well... are you religious or atheist?"
    "Religious," he said.
    "Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?"
    "Christian," he said.
    "Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?"
    "Protestant," he said.
    "Me too" Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?"
    "Baptist Church of God!"
    "My brother!," he said. "Me too! Are you Original Baptist Church of God, or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?"
    "Reformed Baptist Church of God!," he said.
    "My brother! Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915?"
    "Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915!"
    At which point the man shouted, "Die, heretic scum!" - and pushed him off the bridge!
Apocryphal, I'm sure. But like most legends, it has its roots in a "higher" truth. In 2001, the Hartford Institute for Religion Research published the largest survey of its kind in the United States involving over 14,000 congregations. Here are two of its startling findings: Three of four congregations experienced conflict in the last five years. In one out of four, it was serious and caused a lasting impact. And it isn't just the Baptists. There are now over 2000 Prebyterian churches in the United States, most started through schisms. And yes, the closer alike these churches are, the more they tend to hate each other.

In the meantime, we have lost several opportunities to gain a following. I had rather hoped that like anti-war.com and smirkingchimp.com, both of which added tens of thousands of donating members, and large gifts, through providing similar fare to that which I was attempting to establish on the BBS, that we could establish some relevance outside of the enthusiastic but broke "kernel" community. Instead, our BBS is spammed, our lists trashed and our membership jaded. I suggest that like some of the long dead communities in Lucifer's article, like DALnet, and like thousands of Christian sects, the CoV is coming to a juncture (or has passed it) where we have to recognise what is happening and take some action or suffer similar consequences. I still think that the best solution for the CoV is to recognise and face up to the divisions between us. I say divisions, because this is not diversity. Diversity of opinion is no longer tolerated if it offends our "wrong wing" and simply leads to list bombing and name calling. The danger of imminent termination or fission is much higher than for some other organizations, not only because of the current tensions, but also because we have no clearly defined goals, and thus our membership is held together by the tenuous bonds of the Goals, Sins and Virtues and perhaps an interest in memetics. Even so, I suggest that with marginal good will, we should be able to do better. Now it might sound ridiculous to call for good will at this stage, when it seems that "somebody has to go", but I will try to explain a strategy which may encourage at least a little hope.

The CoV dispenses with all of its existing structures. The virus.lucifer.com website is greatly simplified, removing most of the information on it, and instead contains two or three equally prominent links. One to each of the organizations. The first, the "Republican" Church of Virus (which Joe Dees is committed to never leaving). The second, to a more "liberal" Church of Virus. Possibly a third if the "moderated" and "unmoderated" sub-groups cannot agree (although I think that this can be resolved). The new organizations may choose to use some other names, but this is not obligatory. Each group will establish its own servers (which may be leased from Lucifer Media for so long as possible) as well as their their own sites and forums and will fund and manage their own operations. Both will have access to the common pool of historically generated material and will share the benefit of continuity via the virus name at Lucifer.com. Should either group generate a revenue surplus, they will tythe to the Church of Virus which will maintain the common portal. Both groups agree to share the costs associated with maintaining the virus.lucifer.com portal and not to interfere with each other's operations or sites.  Both groups agree that in the event that if, in the opinion of David Lucifer, they breach these agreements, abandon the Goals, or the Sins and Virtues established by the Church of Virus, that they will relinquish all rights, affiliation with, and use of the name "the Church of Virus", "CoV", "virus.lucifer.com" and other permutations or related names. In addition, other groups may affiliate with the Church of Virus or its splinter groups on the same basis, and the established groups may further schism and the components shall inherit this agreement under the same conditions. Members are welcome to join either organization or both.

In this way, our goals and principles will be propagated by at least two bodies, both of which will have a much better chance to propagate those goals and interests to their chosen demographics, greatly increasing the probability that our memes will persevere.

I will address further considerations of practicality and the structure which I would advocate for the a new site once this proposal has been considered and discussed (and when I have a minute to spare). It should be noted that this proposal could be put into action by simply "cloning" the existing sites.
« Last Edit: 2003-07-31 05:57:52 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Demon
Heretic

Rate Demon

View Profile
Re:Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians
« Reply #1 on: 2003-07-30 18:53:12 »

[[ author reputation (2.11) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
michelle
Initiate

Rate michelle

Peace is knowing that the Dude abides.

View Profile WWW
RE: virus: Re:Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians
« Reply #2 on: 2003-07-31 13:00:37 »

"Fortunately, political ideologies are not as important in this group as
is the propagation of Virian ideals. The most noticeable and increasing
schism in the Church of Virus is that on one side you have people who
uphold the Virian Way (Refer: Miyamoto Musashi's The Book Of Five Rings)
and want to move it beyond the various mediums of internal discussion.
Then there is the people that seem to stray from the Virian Way who are
also "all talk and no play." I have seen it as well as a few prominent
others."

This is a very important point to address, and I'm glad it's been
brought up now.  What is the role of those who don't have the time or
money to contribute to organized efforts but spread word of mouth and
forward posts to get people interested?  I'm probably in the "all talk
and no play" category, except that I am rather evangelical in private.
As much as I would hate to lose my place here due to lack of
contribution, I would understand if that were the desire of the group
(to be more group-action-oriented). 

The concern is still, however, what to do if we can get people
interested but they are greeted with low and mean-spirited attitudes,
whether directed at them or just bad behavior in public?  It's
embarrassing, and the list is rather sparse now for fear of provoking
more of it.  A division seems extreme but might be the necessary way.
I've seen more than one attempt at separatism already, and I don't think
it's a bad idea... but I still hold out a cockeyed optimism that we
could all just behave like civilized and honorable gentlepersons (heh)!
THEN, we could more fully address bringing people to our healthy,
attractive home.  I have a hard time inviting people to a ghost town
like something out of a Stephen King novel!

---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Beyond the gate of Experience flows the Way,
Which is ever greater and more subtle than the world.
athenonrex
Acolyte

Rate athenonrex

you have been FnoRded, may the farce be with you..
admonium
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2003-07-31 15:46:15 »

i, personally, am all for expansion and further development. but at the same time, are we not attempting to be selective with who we seek out? aren't we seeking a certain type of person?

if we aren't, i think i've missed the point a good deal myself (as i have acused joe dees of many times).

'twas to my understanding that we at Virus were seeking out people that were (while not necessarily of like mind) similarly structured intellectually, emotionally and memetically. bringing in compatible formatting while maintaining intellectual and ideological diversity to fill in our own sink holes and gaps.

the reason i play devil's advocate so much is that so much, historically, has come from someone questioning one thing or another. in fact, it is the hallowed Socratic Method that i am practicing (or trying to). and i would rightfully have someone do the same for me, were i able to find someone able, ready and willing.

as of late though, emphasis has been placed into more of a consensus oriented mentality. while i notice and recognize the potential good this can do for us, should we really be concerned about the "aquisition" (so to speak) of new members? i mean, if we can't agree on much right now, as it is, then perhaps soliciting and spreading new memberships should be placed on a backburner. i introduce people and try to get other people involved, but only people that i assertain would both benifiet from this group and would also in turn benifiet the group as a whole. so far, few people i have found fit both criteria.

and almost as an exercise in random, it was mere chance that i found this web site/mailing list/community roughly three years ago (i forget exactly how long ago it was). it clicked. it worked for me. it was sweet.

almost a year later, i ended up leaving the group for exactly what is going on now. only to return within a week or two. something drew me back here. i am a virian. for better or worse, i think this is a cause with sticking with.

here i've occasionally found people who agree with me wholeheartedly. but moreso, i've found a diversity that satiates my thirst. a diversity of ideas and resources that just aren't readily available for me elsewhere. and if we can sort things out, and continue moving forward, so we can actively apply natural selection within our own community and bring in memetic diversity (if memes are to though what genes are to DNA, perhaps lack of memetic diversity is equatable to inbreeding?) to keep us changing, adapting, and generally evolving.

i do not believe that any split would benifiet either group, or the whole. of course, that is my opinion, and i could very well be wrong. but, it is something to consider.

-putting down the faux horns and being something other than devil's advocate for once,
athenonrex

'Tis an Ill Wind that Blows No Minds...

this post is (k) Copyleft...all rights reversed.
JD
Adept

Rate JD

View Profile
RE: virus: Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians
« Reply #4 on: 2003-07-31 10:12:11 »

Dear Hermit,

I think that the dichotomy is slightly exaggerated. No doubt I would be
lumped into group one (pro-American, Pro-Israeli, Pro-Western) but your
description of this group is somewhat extreme. I can see elements of my
beliefs in both "sides" of the schism. I know you do not want to argue small
stuff and your examples, but I would like to  make some things clearer none
the less. I believe we have much more in common here than we realise.

1. I distrust all governments, but sometimes or even mostly I agree with the
US Government (being the embodiment of the US people) and its actions. My
posting such opinions is normally in reaction what I perceive as
anti-American posts. Joe Dees, like me occasionally, feels he is restoring
balance but challenging what has become anti-US dogma here.

2. No one has claimed that "no media is more accurate and fair than that of
the US". If they did they are mistaken. The US media is flawed, but then
again so are almost all mass media systems. Even the BBC is accused of
rampant bias. There is little point in moaning about the US media unless a
suitable benchmark is established to measure rival media systems. It is one
thing to say "The US media has commercial interests filtering the news", it
is quite another to add "so we must give it equal status as the Iraqi
Information Minister's pronouncements".

3. War happens. As a former soldier you know well that war is hell, but
whilst ideologies exists to clash and there is competition for limited
resources -  there will be war.

4. Some parts of the world would be better off adopting Western values. It
is perfectly normal to champion one's values attempt to propagate them. That
Western value are winning some memetic wars against legacy systems is not
America's fault.

5. Joe Dees often posts brilliant material but he can of course be
vituperative and somewhat obsessive in his arguing.  He is a dissenter and
heterodox who simply clashes with the political dogmas in this church. More
power to him. How we handle differences and dissent is crucial to how we
develop.

I know you are trying to sort out this difficult problem of acrimonious and
off-putting internal squabbles. I think the solution to this is clear rules
of engagement, earning each others respect in areas where we do not disagree
and finally some sort of restatement of our shared values which includes the
rules mentioned above.

Perhaps we also need a natural, external threat?

A church based on reason is fine, but what are we doing to avoid what
happened to the last attempt to create such a church? The one that ended
with the Reign of Terror?

I trust you, probably the most brilliant person I have ever encountered,
will have some refreshing insights into how we can do this.

Kind regards

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-virus@lucifer.com [mailto:owner-virus@lucifer.com] On Behalf Of
Hermit
Sent: 30 July 2003 21:04
To: virus@lucifer.com
Subject: virus: Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians

---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Joe Dees
Heretic

Rate Joe Dees

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-03 00:11:40 »

[[ author reputation (1.90) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

« Last Edit: 2003-08-03 00:17:39 by Joe Dees » Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2003-08-03 06:00:56 »

If the CoV is to flourish (something which I think should happen), we need to expand our membership. Which brings us back neatly to where I began.

There are at least two viewpoints here, which are utterly at odds with one another, but as other contributors to this thread have observed, not central to sharing the goals of the CoV, avoiding our 'sensless sins' or adopting our 'Virian Virtues'. What these groups are called is not particularly relevent, as I think that the existing labels have become so meanless as to be nearly indistinguishable. The appelations I used were intended as identifiers, not characterizations.

Both perspectives may have appeal to the wider community on their own, and perhaps, when dealt with in a civilised fashion (as I consider Jonathan Davis to have done in his latest post) joint discussions may be of interest to a small number of people. Trying to stick to the point, in the main, I doubt if a literally interminable discussion holds much of a draw for the CoV. Unfortunately, civilised discussion, as Joe Dees has once again made apparent, is not the norm and I would suggest that the resulting mess has no appeal to anyone that the existing members wish to see sharing membership in the CoV.

As stated in our founding introduction http://virus.lucifer.com/about.html, we are an evolving and memetic organization, and in order to increase our ability to propagate our memes effectively, we are proposing and implementing a number of steps in the hope of increasing the appeal and marketability of the CoV.

As announced by David Lucifer in [ David Lucifer,"Emergent reputation system in beta", 2003-08-01 ] , we have a mechanism in beta which will allow us to implement a 'sumucracy' [From sumuos: respected or revered and -cracy:a system of governing] which will recursively and adaptively provide weight to those members of the community who are recognised by the community as being respected. This mechanism is proposed to allow the community of the Church of Virus to "self-moderate" the image which it presents to the world.

The proposed mechanism will work as follows:
    Rated members [Refer http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=;action=foo ] will evaluate one another's 'Reputations', which vary from a 1 (should be banned) through a 7 (A pillar of the community)]. A computer algorithm converts this assigned 'Reputation' into:
    • an 'Influence' which is a determination of how much weight a member's opinion carries, calculated from the Reputation such that in a community of N members one level 7 member will have as much influence as N level 4s, and one level 4 will have as much influence as N level 1s. as well as
    • 'Equity', being the percentage of the total influence wielded by a member.
    For the purpose of evaluating 'Influence' and 'Equity', unrated members are allocated a 'neutral Reputation' of 4. The upside of not being rated is that you cannot receive a low rating. The downside, aside from possible accusations of apathy, is that an unrated member cannot rate others, nor can they receive higher ratings. The choice as to whether to be rated or not is left to the individual members.

Posts made will be assigned a 'Visibility score' which is determined by the 'Influence' of the poster. Other rated Virians may 'applaud' or 'smite' a post, upon which, the 'Influence' of an 'Applauder'  will be added to the 'Visibility score' and the the 'Influence' of a 'Smiter'  will be subtracted from it.

We will be replacing our current method of establishing whether a Virian is a 'neophyte', 'acolyte', 'congregation', 'vector' or 'archvector' with one based upon the "Equity" of the Virian. In addition, a category will be established for the 'Uninfected' which will include those who are not members of the BBS (the outside world).

We will establish score thresholds for posts which will determine who is able to see the posts. In this way, only posts which achieve a sufficiently high 'Visibility score' will be available to the 'Uninfected', allowing us to determine how we present ourselves. Naturally any Virian will be able to affect the visibility score of any post, in such a way that a post made by somebody with great influence can be reduced below this threshold by a number of Virians 'smiting' it, and that made by a low 'Influence' Virian may be boosted to be visible to the 'Uninfected' by a number of Virians 'applauding it'. Similar mechanisms will be used internally, to the extent that a sufficiently low score will relegate material to 'The Pit' while a sufficiently high score will boost material to 'The Best of Virus'. Material which has a sufficiently high score will be sent out on the mailing list interface. The same mechanism will apply to mail being received from the list.
This approach we hope, will solve many of our current 'image' problems, and do away with claims of the nature of "I'm a better/more important Virian than you" something that never has been, and hopefully never will be a part of our paradigm.

Unfortunately, there is, if my surmises are correct, a drawback. And that is that little or no material of the kind that I labelled as "conservative", "NeoCon" or "knee jerk Republican" is going to be visible to the outside world. Which, I think, is going to annoy no-end those members of the CoV who support this perspective. It also precludes the CoV as being seen as desireable by those who enjoy such material (no matter how little appeal I think the CoV is likely to hold for the majority of such people).

The proposed schism was designed to eliminate these potential drawbacks. It does so by allowing the "Joe Dees' America First" (merely an identifying label until somebody suggests another, seeing the strenuous objections to the identification used previously) to establish their own "perspective" of the CoV, and for the "liberal group" (which in my opinion does not include knee jerk Democrats - or knee jerk anythings for that matter - although it does of course include democrats (note the capitalization)) to establish their own perspectives of the CoV. Indeed, as previously intimated, other groups may choose to form and present still other perspectives. These groups will maintain their own memberships and ratings (although nothing precludes a Virian from joining multiple groups), and more importantly, their own BBS boards which will allow them to present their perspectives in as an attractive a format as they choose to their chosen demographic. Each group benefits in that their prefered memes are not diluted and their forums are not disrupted by viturperation. The CoV as a whole benefts, because we increase the number of demographics to which we appeal and because, hopefully, members will be less reluctant to advocate the CoV to others due to the reduction in the possibility of embarrassment.

The "liberal group" has been working on what and how we should be doing things in order to achieve a broader appeal and greater degree of attractiveness to new members and in so doing, greatly increase the total CoV membership and revenues. Revenues that we need to be able to develop the CoV. The question is whether the "Joe Dees' America First" group wishes to establish their own project to do the same, or if they would rather operate within the consensus of the evolving Church of Virus.

As you can see, a schism is not being forced on anyone, a choice is being offered. The one thing which is not going to happen is that we continue with the current unhappy situation. Anyone wishing to discuss this further is welcome to do so formally, on this thread, or join the ongoing discussions on our channel, #virus either through IRC at irc.lucifer.com:6667 or via the web at http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=chat.

Hermit
« Last Edit: 2003-08-03 14:08:42 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Joe Dees
Heretic

Rate Joe Dees

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2003-08-03 15:40:51 »

« Last Edit: 2003-08-03 15:55:51 by Joe Dees » Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2003-08-03 16:56:25 »

A slight edited version of Joe Dees' latest missive on this thread has been posted at [ Hermit, "Re:Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians", Reply 8, 2003-08-03 ] . This has not been sent to the list, due to the use of color to convey meaning.

Hermit

Hermit

A minor reinstatement, where Joe Dees no doubt inadvertently created a misrepresention through selective quotation and a few uncommented highlights observing that Joe Dees' apparently does not think very highly of the membership's ability to form judgements of the value of his perspectives. On this point, it is perhaps worth emphasising a not terribly subtle point that Joe Dees may not have grasped, which is that in order to save an enormous amount of time and effort, not to mention untidyness, the proposed semucracy encourages the formation of an "intersubjective concensus" through the ratings of posters and their posts by the general membership of the CoV, rather than having to wade through, and potentially respond to, every posting which is made, irrespective of the membership's opinion of the poster or material's worth.

Joe Dees

Two Points:
    1) The ratings scheme, while sincerely intended, is wide open to abuse, since it depends upon the objective evaluation of transparently biased people.  I already have a mental picture of hermit licking the pavlovian spittle from his jowly chops at the juicy prospect of he and his ideological minions reflexively smiting all the posts authored by people on their Nixonian political enemies list, regardless of their objective merit, in order to drive any posts by their authors, to the 1-banning/blackout stage, and thus enforcing a partisan party-line conformity upon the CoV, and likewise knee-jerk applauding each other, regardless of whether such applause is actually deserved by the content of their posts.  He himself forsaw/admitted as much with his statement that "[Reinserted] if my surmises [that the majority of the CoV are "liberal"] are correct...little or no material of the kind that I labelled as "conservative", "NeoCon" or "knee jerk Republican" is going to be visible to the outside world."  Notice that this material does not have to actually FIT such labels; it is only necessary for its exclusion for hermit and his minions to so label it

Hermit

If Joe Dees really feels that his "America First" advocacy will draw members to the CoV (which is a primary reason for this forum's existence), and that supporters (I won't insult them by calling them minions) of the "Joe Dees' America First" perspective are either apathetic or have less 'influence' than the "liberal" CoV membership, then he should seriously consider accepting the schism offered. Surely if either of the above are true, then not to accept the proposal would be extremely hypocritical. And if they are false, why has he been dogmatically promoting this perspective by flooding the CoV with plagiarised material. making it appear that this represents the CoV over the opinion of what he considers a majority, and strenuously assaulting those who have attempted to disagree with him?

Joe Dees

2) The idea of 'wings' of the CoV runs foursquare counter to the concept of truth, which is singular, not multiple, and which ideally should be determined by means of intersubjective concensus, by combining varying perspectives upon the selfsame object.  I think that the truth of matters under dispute should be settled by clothing the skeleton of logical argument with the flesh of supporting evidence.  As the saying goes, a person with one watch always knows what time it is; a person with two watches is never sure.
« Last Edit: 2003-08-03 16:57:14 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

Joe Dees
Heretic

Rate Joe Dees

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2003-08-03 17:53:34 »

« Last Edit: 2003-08-03 18:03:19 by Joe Dees » Report to moderator   Logged
ElvenSage
Adept

Rate ElvenSage

Think for yourself, question authority.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2003-08-04 05:53:33 »

Dees:

Quote:
The ratings scheme, while sincerely intended, is wide open to manipulation and abuse, since it depends upon the objective evaluation of transparently biased people.

I agree that there is a chance that the rating system will be abused and will fail.  Yet, on the other hand I do not see it being likely.  Personally I'm not going to vote posts down to not being viewable unless the content is really offense and would disgrace, discredit, and harm the productivity of the CoV.  This does include spamming the list with 5 message about how this or that is justified from any political stance.  We have a section for that on the BBS and for the most part that is where it should stay.  I must note though, you have been doing a good job in my eyes lately. (Not that I expect it to matter to you.)

I think if used correctly the rating system will help the CoV in the end.  If not, then at least it was a learning experience.  As Dr. Sebby would say.....

"Courage...and Shuffle the cards".

Safe from the pain and truth and choice and other poison devils
See.. they don't give a fuck about you, like i do.
Just stay with me, safe and ignorant,
Go back to sleep
Go Back to sleep
Demon
Heretic

Rate Demon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2003-08-04 06:21:39 »

[[ author reputation (2.11) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Kharin
Archon

Rate Kharin

In heaven all the interesting people are missing.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 2003-08-04 13:41:48 »

Quote:
"The idea of 'wings' of the CoV runs foursquare counter to the concept of truth, which is singular, not multiple"

One truth, one church, one pontiff then?
Joe Dees
Heretic

Rate Joe Dees

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile WWW
Re: virus: Re:Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians
« Reply #13 on: 2003-08-04 14:36:57 »

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re: virus: Re:Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians
« Reply #14 on: 2003-08-04 14:59:37 »

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 6:21 AM

> There's absolutely no reason to trust the membership to use the peer rating system honestly.

You don't have to. You only have to assume that the majority of
the most highly respected members of the community will use the
rating system honestly.

The system is the most fair and most objective system that I have
come across. If you have a better system, please describe it.

David
---

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: