Hedonism was RE: virus: more important than love?

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 06:01:05 MST

Blunderov pleasured me greatly with his delightfully well written, allusion
rich - and hilarious - post on hedonism.

Thank-you.

Hermit <the ever hopeful hedonist>

PS Small aside. I find that the palate never need grow jaded, that new
experiences and sensations await around every-corner, and that in his most
quoted proverbial expression* (even if most quoting it do not know of what
he spoke), Benjamin Franklin was incorrect. When candles be out, not all
pussies are grey - each has its own smell and taste (always familiar, always
changing) - and some sparkle. Hedonism - like extravagant carnal pleasure -
is largely a state of mind. In a word, perhaps Epicurius suffered from a
tremendous defect for an aspirant hedonist; his imagination was too limited.

*All cats are grey at night.

PPS Divorce is merely a consequence of marriage. I would suggest that that
modern divorce rates go together with expectations inflated by untrammeled
romanticism, by too great an anticipation of stability over an ever
extending period of time and by the Hollywoodyian (to coin an adjective)
idea that love is forever - and effortless. Which hints at why a "perfect
relationship" is impossible. Perfection, definitionally, does not alter over
time. The arrow of entropy cannot ever be safely ignored - and neither can
the work - and play - that successful relationships require. Then again, as
Byron said, "Once I ate a pea!"

PPPS I am still far from convinced that hedonism is the "most important
thing" in life.