Re: virus: Poor misunderstood Mermaid.

From: Mermaid . (britannica@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 15:30:30 MST

[Bill Roh]The whole business of having to check sources and such is
unnecessary for me simply because I am sure that neither of you too are
willing to lie - for your own sakes and because you both seem above it.

[Mermaid]Sources should always be checked. This is not to discredit an
opponent or to satisfy nagging doubts. This does not always imply dishonesty
or purposeful malice. Everyone trips and is wrong one time or the other.
Trust and love and friendship and all that is good, but that is no reason to
stop you from asking questions or challenging a trusted one's opinion.
Always question. Question because knowledge is too precious to be bought
second hand. Because what you learn and accept, you pass it on. Because you
cannot afford to stagnate. You hold an OBLIGATION to others and you owe it
to yourself. Opinions are not facts or absolute truths. So if one chooses to
make a very strong statement, one must make sure that one does not spread
disinformation over someone else's cerebral sacred ground because if they
are filled with prejuices, nonsense, falsities...they will be spreading it
to others too...I know the same man<and used to feel the same way as you do>
and quite possibly have known him longer than you have...But if I have to
lay down my right to question and doubt to maintain a friendship under
threat..then I am probably better off with it.